Glasgow vs Ulster - Live updates

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Glasgow vs Ulster - Live updates

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Toonie doesn't need to have learned anything yesterday. He already knows fer gawds sake. Some of yez are ascribing "Monty esqe " strategic genius to yesterday. Thats Python rather than Field Marshall.
We are a poor fourth in a league that has been weak this year.
To hope for a mental and tactical turnaround in 6 days with a full xv that has been shown as dumb and mentally fragile consistently over the last few years at the business end is naive. The argument ref sending a weakened team to prevent showing our hand is specious. Toonie has enough Intel already. You don't turn that club into a formidable one without homework. So we're going to bluff weegies into a false sense of security on the back of one game? BS
We're no Saints either. The way they turned those games around highlights why we are mentally weak and tactically naive. Been so for years now. We bottle the big ones.
I'm for Glasgow Friday, all booked. So I reserve my right to moan or eat my hat. My money's on the former.
I claim my clownshoes :thumleft:
Exterminate all rational thought
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

With regards the yellow card, it won't be long before the citing commissioner gives a "Citing warning" which in effect will be deemed a yellow card and if the ref then gives one for a further offence it will be two yellows therefore a red !
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

It's been a poor season with a bunch of jokers in charge. I fear next season won't be much better.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Jackie Brown wrote:It's been a poor season with a bunch of jokers in charge. I fear next season won't be much better.
jackie stop being so negative
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Toonie doesn't need to have learned anything yesterday. He already knows fer gawds sake. Some of yez are ascribing "Monty esqe " strategic genius to yesterday. Thats Python rather than Field Marshall.
To hope for a mental and tactical turnaround in 6 days with a full xv that has been shown as dumb and mentally fragile consistently over the last few years at the business end is naive. The argument ref sending a weakened team to prevent showing our hand is specious. Toonie has enough Intel already. You don't turn that club into a formidable one without homework. So we're going to bluff weegies into a false sense of security on the back of one game? BS
We're no Saints either. The way they turned those games around highlights why we are mentally weak and tactically naive. Been so for years now. We bottle the big ones.
I'm for Glasgow Friday, all booked. So I reserve my right to moan or eat my hat. My money's on the former.
Good use of the word 'specious'.

Not calling it tactical genius, but there will be a wee bit of a thought in the backs of the Glasgae minds thinking- 'we had to work bloody hard for 50 mins and that was their B team'. Ok, I know the weather was a massive factor and the Weegies are still massive favourites, but I think we made the right call with the selection.
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

To play a full strength team for no tactical gain would be sportsmanlike but tactically inept. Some on here would make Poor poker players I fear. Take the pain and come back next week to the game that will give us our final if we play to our full ability and accuracy. I Cant wait for the guys to prove themselves.
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

LegsLikeSausages wrote:
CIMANFOREVER wrote:Toonie doesn't need to have learned anything yesterday. He already knows fer gawds sake. Some of yez are ascribing "Monty esqe " strategic genius to yesterday. Thats Python rather than Field Marshall.
Good use of the word 'specious'.

Not calling it tactical genius, but there will be a wee bit of a thought in the backs of the Glasgae minds thinking- 'we had to work bloody hard for 50 mins and that was their B team'. Ok, I know the weather was a massive factor and the Weegies are still massive favourites, but I think we made the right call with the selection.
I think this is it.

If we'd brought our full side yesterday, and got beaten, would we be in a better position or worse position going into next week? Worse, obviously.

I accept the premise of that question was that we'd lose with the full team, but I'm happy to expect that would have been the case.
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

As disappointed as I am with the result from yesterday I still believe that if we can field our strongest team we are not out of it by a long shot. At least the scrum held this week!
Someone is due to win an away semi after 5 yrs and if that's us we'll be installed as favourites in a home final. If they travel with attitude and self belief.

The last season is more disappointing for me due to us being bullied again up front again with exceptions here and there. For all Anscombes faults in his first season he had the forwards going forward funny enough! Losing Nevin gave them the heart and incentive.

I look at the size of Diack, Dan T et all and with a total lack of aggression, urgency leg drive etc being stopped on the gain line and driven backwards. It's a coaching problem and I have nil faith in Clarkie.
Likes of Big L, Black, Herbie with short arms being unable to wrap up and twist opposition out of rucks as first man in etc all season long.

Taking ruck ball at a standstill with no momentum no pods formed around fringes all basic enough stuff. We get being patient confused with playing through the numbers. How many times in a match do we see our players running flat out at the opposition?

I hope the players and coaches do read this forum and they take a few posts and stick them up in the changing room. On our best days we are a match for any one.

Everyday should be our best day!

Les and the new forwards coach can't get here soon enough.
Still need 2 props, 2 back rows a 9 & 10.
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

CIMAN, there is only so many ways I can explain it, I can't make anyone understand it.

As a final attempt, let's look at the proof of the pudding.

The results elsewhere are more or less as expected, I knew Munster would rip Dragons a brand new arsehole, I suspected the mighty Westies might prevent a full 5 points but not threaten to win. That they came pretty close to winning is a credit to them & congratulation on what I'm pretty sure is their highest league finish.

So the fact of the matter is that we were never going anywhere but away. You decide whether away to Weegies is any harder than away to Ospreys, I don't think there is a hell of a lot in it but my overarching expertise tells me that Ospreys have recently been in better form than Weegies.

So to conclude, we had the square root of feck all to gain yesterday, resting the wounded & the "vital" will give us a better chance next week, though do understand that I am not suggesting it was either genius nor does it guarantee winning, it was just the smart thing to do & even then sod's law means we got yet another injury.

We did not lose a home semi-final yesterday, that happened the week before.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

You know what reading all this stuff I am completely torn between two camps.
Its been a season of upheaval and misadventure both on and off the pitch most of it being of our own doing.

I can count on one hand the number of satisfactory performances we have put in this season but heres the thing we still are in the running.
It feels like a free play.
Quite often the championship side in soccer who scrapes in the playoffs overcomes the side who have dipped out on promotion by a point.
The pressure is on the top team who feel they should be there as opposed to the team who have nothing to lose.

Do we deserve to win the pro12.?
Absolutely not

Should we care about that at this stage?
Absolutely not.
Article
Initiate

Post by Article »

Jackie Brown wrote:It's been a poor season with a bunch of jokers in charge. I fear next season won't be much better.
not good and yet we get to the semi-final of Pro12///but maybe the standard is lower this year only look at Leinster and the season they have had, we can only pray we end with a bit of silverware, but looks doubtful
HoneyBadger
Novice

Post by HoneyBadger »

Right decision was made and people who disagree lack serious understanding of end of season rugby. I believe Toulon put out 2nd teams in between semi final and final of champions cup in top 14 (and lost) to minnows in an effort to rest 1st teamers. Now if a team with their squad par take in these type of procedures what the hell should we be doing? The whole success of Irish teams in Europe was based on us resting players in the Rabo.
With the attrition of modern day rugby this is what is necessary to win.
My only complaint would be selecting Franco who I thought would have racked up enough minutes to warrant a rest and hendo who has played relatively little some more game time. However I'm assuming the overall workload on each player is measured and maybe there's he's in better shape that visible from the outside.
Using Tapatalk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

In truth the idiots are not the coaches as much as the players - coaches are not on the pitch getting red cards only players are responsible for the cards , too often Ulster were playing a man short and that is not a formula for great performances .

Nor is the absence of players due to injury .

I doubt if Ulster put the same XV on the pitch two games in a row more than twice if that .

Some changes have little or no effect others can be the difference between winning and losing .

Yesterday was a game dominated by two factors the wind and the fact that Glasgow knew they needed 4 trys for a home semi .
That Ulster was winning until about the 60 minute mark was the surprise . Although that was down to the fact they had played the first half assisted by a 20 point wind . By that I mean coming out in the second half to face the wind Ulster needed about a 20 point lead to have a chance of winning .
But a win was not enough for Glasgow they needed 4 Trys thus instead of kicking penalties they played the corners or went for scrums to keep the pressure on .

The fact is that match is as good as Glasgow as Can play I do believe a full Ulster side in temperate conditions can perform much better than Ulster's last 30 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I am convinced (possibly because I wish it to be so) that yesterday was the first instance in living memory of Ulster playing the percentages, up to and including the "selection" of Scotstoun as our preferred away semifinal venue.
There's more than one way to have your destiny in your own hands and what was clear to anyone with a modicum of knowledge of the sides involved was that Munster were going to trample all over the Dragons and Connacht, who's tyres have been deflating as the season has gone on, were highly unlikely to do a number on Ospreys. Those being the likely outcomes before the games and the near inevitable outcomes by half time, the only thing that we had any control over was the result at Scotstoun. If we wanted to go back to Scotstoun in the semifinal, that could be achieved by conceding 4 tries. I leave the rest to your imaginations.........

Of course I have always had a very fertile imagination. Oswald, lone gunman, aye right.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Simply add in that for the 3 previous games Ulster had picked the best available sides but came up short of getting the win against Munster that would have meant going balls out again yesterday.

I believe that anyone with a smattering of wit will add 2 & 2 and come up with Dealy Plaza. I'm with you Sniper and relatively happy, though by no means confident.............. yet, I will be later in the week. :lol:

I also believe L H Oswald was silenced before a touch of waterboarding revealed the truth. Ruby never married and was already on a life sentence with cancer. Of course he died before the State of Texas, could legally kill him................or so they say.

#perfectpatsyforthemob
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.