van der Merwe to stay with Ulster

Moderator: Moderators

ADM
Initiate

van der Merwe to stay with Ulster

Post by ADM »

[tag=image]http://www.ulsterrugby.com/images/news/ ... dax_80.jpg[/tag][tag=content]Ulster Rugby have today announced that second row forward Franco van der Merwe has agreed a one-year contract extension that will see him stay in Belfast until June 2017.

The lock joined Ulster in the summer of 2014 from Super Rugby side the Lions having previously played for the Sharks. He also received one cap for the Springboks in the 2013 Rugby Championship when he featured against the All Blacks.

In one-and-a-half seasons with Ulster van der Merwe has recorded 42 appearances and notched three tries for his adopted province. The South African has only missed six games, highlighting his importance to the team.

The Springbok has already established himself as a leadership figure within the squad having captained the side several times last season in Rory Best’s absence while he has also rose to prominence as one of the best line-out operators in Europe, having the most lineout successes in last season’s PRO12.

“I'm really pleased to sign on for another year with Ulster,” van der Merwe said on his contract extension. “I've thoroughly enjoyed my time here and it was an easy decision for me and my family to take.

“We have felt very welcome from the moment we arrived and that is down to everyone involved in Ulster Rugby; the players, the management team and the supporters.

"This season has been a bit of a transition with Les (Kiss) coming in, but I'm really excited to be part of that the squad's growth over the next 18 months. The challenge for us is to keep improving and pushing to achieve silverware, and I'm confident that we'll continue to develop our game under Les and the other coaches.

"I have tried to bring some of my experience to the group and help some of the younger players. It's been encouraging for me to see some young forwards come through and make their mark in Europe and in the PRO12, which augers well for a successful Ulster team in the future.”

Ulster Director of Rugby Les Kiss welcomed the news that the Springbok would be staying with the province beyond the end of the season and praised van der Merwe’s experience and professionalism.

"To have Franco stay for another season is a fantastic boost for Ulster,” he stated. “His professional approach and the standards that he sets have been integral to the development of the young players coming through, such as Kyle McCall, Alan O'Connor, John Donnan and Stephen Mulholland.

"He is also an excellent club man, who contributes in such a positive way to the environment we are creating here. His durability is outstanding and his lineout expertise speaks for itself.

“Along with new signings Kieran Treadwell and Rodney Ah You, he will play an important role as we build and strengthen our forward pack for next season.”
[/tag]