Schools Cup 2016

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

Beattiespastie
Squire

Re: Schools Cup 2016

Post by Beattiespastie »

:D Like it Chuckle!! It's building up to a good final this year regardless of who makes It to the Kingspan. was always unashamedly a big supporter of MCB and school rugby but ironically it was watching my nephew win the cup in 2005 for RBAI against MCB that got me interested in schools rugby. My lad ended up at MCB and was fortunate enough to win stuff so naturally I was a supporter of the school.Its not the same when your lad leaves but I still listen out to hear how they get on and watch the odd game when I can. It's all good stuff and boy does the rivalry carry on in some people :D
ChuckleBrothers
Novice

Post by ChuckleBrothers »

ChuckleBrothers wrote:
Beattiespastie wrote:Oh I do....proud parent. That's the point I guess , when you run your son back and forth for seven years through rain, hail snow to training and sit in casualty for hours with him and his broken leg or broken nose and go on to see him win the schools cup you have a vested interest and memories that never fade. If you haven't been fortunate enough to experience that then I wholly understand your disinterest but it doesn't dilute my pride and I hand on heart wish the CCB lads the best in the cup as they have earned it... It's not an easy road.
It's not...I have it on authority from Sir Paul McCartney that it is 'long and winding'. >yahoo
And furthermore...Dorothy Gale found out it was full of yellow bricks and provided Elton John with a 1973 hit >seeya
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I think we shouldn't have the SC "Final" at Ravenhill

It devalues Ravenhill as an experience. If we stopped the big Belfast schools from playing there so regularly, they might join clubs and want to play there is a competitive competition
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Nonsense Russ... The kids work hard to get to Ravenhill and deserve to experience the big stage as for most it will be their only experience of Ravenhill. It's the preceeding 5-7 years the kids put in juggling studies, training and games topped off with a hard fought cup run that culminates in St Patrick's day at Ravenhill/ Kingspan not just a few games. Kids attending the big Belfast Schools value the privilege of playing rugby at Ravenhill and for many they go on to college and continue to play for a club/ college or if lucky end up in a provincial academy. Worth noting that many young lads take no more interest in rugby after school and that's fair enough as well.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Beattiespastie wrote:Nonsense Russ... The kids work hard to get to Ravenhill and deserve to experience the big stage as for most it will be their only experience of Ravenhill. It's the preceeding 5-7 years the kids put in juggling studies, training and games topped off with a hard fought cup run that culminates in St Patrick's day at Ravenhill/ Kingspan not just a few games. Kids attending the big Belfast Schools value the privilege of playing rugby at Ravenhill and for many they go on to college and continue to play for a club/ college or if lucky end up in a provincial academy. Worth noting that many young lads take no more interest in rugby after school and that's fair enough as well.
Precisely my point
Thank you for proving me 100% correct
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Lads who drop out of rugby do so for various reasons...injury, moving away to college, not interested anymore as they have other priorities commitments etc. School Cup final belongs at Ravenhill/Kingspan. Paddy Jackson captaining Ulster today... Excellent !
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Beattiespastie wrote:Lads who drop out of rugby do so for various reasons...injury, moving away to college, not interested anymore as they have other priorities commitments etc. School Cup final belongs at Ravenhill/Kingspan. Paddy Jackson captaining Ulster today... Excellent !
If I was forced into the schedules MCB and Inst are to get to Ravenhill I'd walk away too
Koonak
Novice

Post by Koonak »

Are you suggesting that we should stop the mini's playing at half time too? There will be lots of matches played at Ravenhill this year besides the Schools Cup! I don't think that's why senior boys won't move on to club rugby - burn out between schools training and an ulster schools training system. If the boys are good enough to be selected schools training should be plenty enough. Time for selecting post 18 when they are at club level - or maybe those selected to progress to academy level should step out of the schools arena so they aren't busted by end of school boy rugby? Don't think however going back to playing the final at ravenhill is the cause really. Many boys who were stars on the school front just don't cut it at club level or don't enjoy it to the same extent. It's ok to drop out after school and gather new interests post school
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Interesting to spot who went to a Belfast school
Koonak
Novice

Post by Koonak »

Wallace who have been in many recent finals had one of their stars Jacob run out with ulster today. I don't know why you refer to Belfast schools in isolation
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Koonak wrote:Wallace who have been in many recent finals had one of their stars Jacob run out with ulster today. I don't know why you refer to Belfast schools in isolation
What have Wallace got to do with the culture of Belfast schools and their ruination of Ulster School Boy rugby?

Catch a grip
Koonak
Novice

Post by Koonak »

I was simply replying to you comment about stopping Belfast schools playing at ravenhill by giving you an example of other schools in recent years who have played there. Plenty of club finals played too at Ravenhill
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Koonak wrote:I was simply replying to you comment about stopping Belfast schools playing at ravenhill by giving you an example of other schools in recent years who have played there. Plenty of club finals played too at Ravenhill
Not many twunts at country clubs though
ChuckleBrothers
Novice

Post by ChuckleBrothers »

Russ wrote:
Beattiespastie wrote:Lads who drop out of rugby do so for various reasons...injury, moving away to college, not interested anymore as they have other priorities commitments etc. School Cup final belongs at Ravenhill/Kingspan. Paddy Jackson captaining Ulster today... Excellent !
If I was forced into the schedules MCB and Inst are to get to Ravenhill I'd walk away too
Russ...your ignorance is bliss, obviously...I want to say a lot more but I won't bother.

Perhaps you don't remember the days when the Schools Cup Final with crowds of c8,000 dwarfed those of Ulster? I have watched Ulster playing inter pro matches with no more than 500 people there.

Finally, you are not qualified to talk about the 'schedules' that RBAI or MCB have...so best not.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Should school players have "schedules"?