Pre Season Fixtures

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: Pre Season Fixtures

Post by UlsterNo9 »

I'm sick of all this optimism >threaten
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Colin0395
Novice

Post by Colin0395 »

rumncoke wrote:Bar the yellow cards I thought the ref did fine for a friendly .

Yellow cards have really no place in a friendly a talk should be enough provided the player hasn't lost his sense of reality .

True the Saints got away with some blocking especially in the second half but the blocking was well executed and would have required an awareness and expectation to be called by a ref .

Anyway I think a second half spent defending was time well spent because defence is frequently the most important aspect to a game consider Charlie's try was a two minute wonder a game is 80 minutes

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Rum, the yellow cards were correct calls, regardless of whether the match was a friendly or not.

Yes, nobody wants to see a card in a friendly match but it was dangerous play from what I could see which got Rodney binned. My view of the second incident wasn't as clear as the first but I immediately said it would be a yellow too.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Colin0395 wrote:

Yellow cards have really no place in a friendly a talk should be enough provided the player hasn't lost his sense of reality .

True the Saints got away with some blocking especially in the second half but the blocking was well executed and would have required an awareness and expectation to be called by a ref .

Anyway I think a second half spent defending was time well spent because defence is frequently the most important aspect to a game consider Charlie's try was a two minute wonder a game is 80 minutes

Rum, the yellow cards were correct calls, regardless of whether the match was a friendly or not.

Yes, nobody wants to see a card in a friendly match but it was dangerous play from what I could see which got Rodney binned. My view of the second incident wasn't as clear as the first but I immediately said it would be a yellow too.

Totally correct Colin, any match friendly or not should be officiated according to the laws for both the sake of the players and the ref.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Colin0395 wrote:

I doubt if cards would have been shown for anything other than dangerous play. From a spectator's perspective, good to see a competitive edge and glad the carded players weren't replaced. Bound to be some merit in practicing defending (or in Ulster's case attacking!) with 14 in any case.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

I've now watched it again and Heh-You was pushed by yet another Saints attempted blocker, which caused him make bad contact.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Tighter End wrote:I've now watched it again and Heh-You was pushed by yet another Saints attempted blocker, which caused him make bad contact.

Tender have you a link for the game? Thought I had it but they claimed it no longer available. Wouldn't mind trying to load up before I get on the plane tonight and watch on the way home, assuming you don't lose it when t'internet is closed.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Tighter End wrote:I've now watched it again and Heh-You was pushed by yet another Saints attempted blocker, which caused him make bad contact.

Tender have you a link for the game? Thought I had it but they claimed it no longer available. Wouldn't mind trying to load up before I get on the plane tonight and watch on the way home, assuming you don't lose it when t'internet is closed.
Still working for me Baggy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7DCpniTsQU
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
firebell53
Novice

Post by firebell53 »

big mervyn wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Still working for me Baggy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7DCpniTsQU
You can watch it on the Ulster Rugby site :red:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

You'll not be able to download it for offline viewing from youtube
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Snipe Watson wrote:You'll not be able to download it for offline viewing from youtube
im pretty certain if you use Mozilla Firefox as your browser in Windows you can get add ons that let you download YouTube movies. I can't be 100% certain as I use a Mac and use other software to download Roosters excellent replays. But I'd be very sure there's simple add ons for most browsers that let you do this.

Like others I was impressed with Rodney's contribution throughout the match. He made a great clear out just prior to Herrons pass for Charlie's try and then again he made a good Afoa impression as he trucked it up the middle to make room for Charlie's run for the Stockdale try. I hope we can keep him fit and interested and maybe he just wants a fresh start somewhere else(after Connacht), but it's the first time I've noticed a prop in open play at ulster in a while. He did make a difference.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Joe Schmo wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:You'll not be able to download it for offline viewing from youtube
im pretty certain if you use Mozilla Firefox as your browser in Windows you can get add ons that let you download YouTube movies. I can't be 100% certain as I use a Mac and use other software to download Roosters excellent replays. But I'd be very sure there's simple add ons for most browsers that let you do this.

Like others I was impressed with Rodney's contribution throughout the match. He made a great clear out just prior to Herrons pass for Charlie's try and then again he made a good Afoa impression as he trucked it up the middle to make room for Charlie's run for the Stockdale try. I hope we can keep him fit and interested and maybe he just wants a fresh start somewhere else(after Connacht), but it's the first time I've noticed a prop in open play at ulster in a while. He did make a difference.
You could be right. I thought it was impossible, but I not exactly up to date.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I do not condone dangerous play but there is a difference between an accidental dangerous contact and dangerous play in so far as frequently dangerous play is avoidable .

At least two of Friday's yellows were worthy of talk because they were accidental and neither of the victims were injured as a result .

The moral ground of claiming dangerous play is in my book weaken by the fact too many referees do nothing about collapse the scrum which is possibly the most frequently and deliberate dangerous play in a game .

There is a difference between a collapsed scrum before the ball goes and after the ball goes in .

Before the ball goes a prop may take the scrum down because he considers he has a disadvantage before the ball goes in and the collapse is expected and controlled generally a collapse after the ball goes in is uncontrolled and therefore extremely dangerous .

But referees seldom recognise the difference .

There is also the fact that dangerous play is not a yellow card offence it is a red card offence

But I will accept the point experience of defending a player down may be worth while because as sure as Monday follows Sunday it will happen several times in the season

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist