Injury Update

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

TinPig
Squire

Re: Injury Update

Post by TinPig »

Irish Times quotes Schmidt as hoping Payne to recover in time to play in the 6 nations.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.2957106
I’m feeling Perky this morning. :pig:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

TinPig wrote:Irish Times quotes Schmidt as hoping Payne to recover in time to play in the 6 nations.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.2957106
Aye, well they hoped 1F would be ready for the 6N a few years back and we all know how that one turned out.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UR will run a competition for the chance to have 'your kidney' playing for Ulster. Plenty of bakebookers would gladly have their organs harvested for a post-op pic with Sparky.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

West London Renal and Transplant Centre the new sponsors of UR organ transplants.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Snipe Watson wrote:Rocky is the expert here, not me, but surely a guys career should not be ended by a torn kidney?
A friend of mine played rugby after a kidney transplant. I would have thought worst case scenario would be removal of the damaged kidney leaving him with one good kidney?
The layman's question there surely is, what happens if the same injury happens again? (However slim the chances.)
It's the hope that kills you.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Nah, surely the question is 'When can he play again for us?' I couldn't begin to tell you all the fecks I don't give if he, or anyone else is fit to play for Ireland.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

Snipe Watson wrote:Rocky is the expert here, not me, but surely a guys career should not be ended by a torn kidney?
A friend of mine played rugby after a kidney transplant. I would have thought worst case scenario would be removal of the damaged kidney leaving him with one good kidney?
Zactly. Unless there was a pre-existing problem with the other kidney or something else not reported.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:
The layman's question there surely is, what happens if the same injury happens again? (However slim the chances.)
Yip, scarily glib from Snipe. His friend who had the transplant was of course free to make that decision, however I'd be amazed if that would have been in line with medical advice. I have a member of my wider family who has one fully working kidney since birth and the advice was not to play an extreme contact sport. He never had the chance to play rugby, too risky.

I've always been a fan of Payne as a 15, he's magnificent, not so much as a 13, indeed very very little support as a 13 simply because he's wasted. I hope his long term health is not risked in any way, even if he would be prepared to play against advice. If his function in the damaged kidney is significantly and permanently affected , he'd be a mug to play on with one ood one.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

I think that's the insurer's question....
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

A friend of mine played rugby after a kidney transplant. I would have thought worst case scenario would be removal of the damaged kidney leaving him with one good kidney?[/quote
Whilst it is possible to have a normal life with one kidney, the norm isn't just to whip out the damaged kidney at the first insult and play on with one, but to allow the damaged one to repair, even if with some scarring.
Cornerfleg wrote:West London Renal and Transplant Centre the new sponsors of UR organ transplants.
>bud
A bit of respect, please .... perfectly capable of doing the surgery here at City Hospital.
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:The layman's question there surely is, what happens if the same injury happens again? (However slim the chances.)
If he's recovered, then they reassess any new injury and treat accordingly.

If the kidney has had to be removed, the same injury won't be an issue, as there won't be a kidney there to injure a second time. :duck:

And if he's had both kidneys removed and a transplant in place, then his "kidney area" ain't a concern anymore as the new one will have been put in the abdomen just above the bladder to make the plumbing a bit easier for the surgeon. >EW
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

We are guessing about someone's medical condition. I don't even know what 'torn kidney' means (and I have more than a passing interest in nephrology).

Plenty of people play with one kidney (and a ball, Grumpy). Lumo played after a transplant FFS. Other folk seem to be advised not to play.

Different people, different conditions, different medical advice, different priorities, ...
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BR wrote:We are guessing about someone's medical condition. I don't even know what 'torn kidney' means (and I have more than a passing interest in nephrology).

Plenty of people play with one kidney (and a ball, Grumpy). Lumo played after a transplant FFS. Other folk seem to be advised not to play.

Different people, different conditions, different medical advice, different priorities, ...
Payne whilst on jihad mentioned on his social profiles that he had torn his kidney

He returns from NZ when he is ready

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Yip, scarily glib from Snipe. His friend who had the transplant was of course free to make that decision, however I'd be amazed if that would have been in line with medical advice. I have a member of my wider family who has one fully working kidney since birth and the advice was not to play an extreme contact sport. He never had the chance to play rugby, too risky.

I've always been a fan of Payne as a 15, he's magnificent, not so much as a 13, indeed very very little support as a 13 simply because he's wasted. I hope his long term health is not risked in any way, even if he would be prepared to play against advice. If his function in the damaged kidney is significantly and permanently affected , he'd be a mug to play on with one ood one.
Glib my backside. I posed a couple of questions. Of course you love to casually throw in a line to discredit anyone you disagree with before you get round to your actual point.
Who is suggesting he play on against medical advice?
What BR says.........
I see you took my Skinner post quite badly. :lol: :lol:
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Recipe book for sale

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:We are guessing about someone's medical condition. I don't even know what 'torn kidney' means (and I have more than a passing interest in nephrology).

Houl'on BR, are you saying you shag dead people???????????????????? Quite a confession on a public forum. :shock: Each to their own I suppose, I'm more into ..............ach maybe not.

More seriously, after his transplant, was the big man not playing with supposedly two functioning kidneys?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.