Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by therealspratt »

kingofthehill wrote:Thompson,McGrath and Lagan I think have been cut from academy.

The guys coming through must be seen as better prospects.

It's interesting that there are more in the Ulster academy than the other provinces. Is it because the club rugby in Ulster is poor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well it is, but I'm not entirely sure that's the reason why, I swear until recently our academy was smaller than Leinster et all. Disappointing that it didn't work out for Thompson, thought he had a lot of potential, certainly more than Donnan.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

kingofthehill wrote:Thompson,McGrath and Lagan I think have been cut from academy.

The guys coming through must be seen as better prospects.

It's interesting that there are more in the Ulster academy than the other provinces. Is it because the club rugby in Ulster is poor?

Numbers are pretty similar academy wise I think.

Thompson only surprising release.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Because we're flooding the Academy in the hope that one of them turns out to be half decent.

I like Leinster's system of one Academy player for each position. Focus all your time on them, not divide it up between 20 props that probably won't make it.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

ruckover wrote:Because we're flooding the Academy in the hope that one of them turns out to be half decent.

I like Leinster's system of one Academy player for each position. Focus all your time on them, not divide it up between 20 props that probably won't make it.
Hmm, no they definitely have more than one player per position, they've 4 or so centres in there right now.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

therealspratt wrote:
ruckover wrote:Because we're flooding the Academy in the hope that one of them turns out to be half decent.

Hmm, no they definitely have more than one player per position, they've 4 or so centres in there right now.
My apologies, you're right. Still, one player per position does still sound like a good idea!
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

ruckover wrote:
therealspratt wrote:

My apologies, you're right. Still, one player per position does still sound like a good idea!
Would have to rely on our talent identification being absolutely spot on, which I don't think we have the track record for. Personally I think the bigger the academy the better.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

thats not what leinster do though...

3 Props
1 Hooker
2 Second Rows
4 Backrows
2 Scrumhalves
2 Outhalves
3 Centres
4 Wings
2 Fullbacks

Thats the breakdown of their academy this season.

Next season it will probably look like this:
3 Props
2 Hookers
2 Second Rows
4 Backrows
2 Scrumhalves
2 Outhalves
3 Centres
3 Wings
2 Fullbacks
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Ulsters incoming academy class probably look like this:

2 props
2 second rows
3 backrows
1 scrumhalf
2 outhalves
2 centres
1 fullback
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Angus Curtis and who at outhalf? Don't reckon they'll bring Lowry in, too small.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

therealspratt wrote:Angus Curtis and who at outhalf? Don't reckon they'll bring Lowry in, too small.
:lol: don't get me started with too small.

If your good enough, your good enough.

Lowry is no smaller than what Jackson was. His skill set is superb,his kicking is superb (albeit he doesn't kick goals in the Inst/Ulster 19 team but doesn't mean he can't), lightening fast and my word does he throw himself into tackles-hard as nails. Compare him to Herron, McKinney etc and then make a educated decision.

I really hate the thought of a young fella with bags of talent not getting academy because we signed an Saffer who 'may' turn out be decent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/ ... rn_ireland

The King is dead. Long live the King.
ChuckleBrothers
Novice

Post by ChuckleBrothers »

Totally agree...I have watched Lowry for 7 years...he's different gravy. So many back rows have thought 'here's a soft touch' only to be knocked back a few yards in the first contact.
I didn't watch Jackson at schoolboy level so can't draw a comparison.
thewaterboy
Novice

Post by thewaterboy »

Stewart (current Irish U20 scrum half) is eligible for U20 again next year also. Presumably he will make the team ahead of O'Donnell on experience alone
:red: SUFTUM :red:
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

thewaterboy wrote:Stewart (current Irish U20 scrum half) is eligible for U20 again next year also. Presumably he will make the team ahead of O'Donnell on experience alone
Depends what you want. Hopefully both will get a run out to prove their worth.

Some talented boys coming through. Exciting times for Ulster if they treat them all right.

ChuckleBrothers
Novice

Post by ChuckleBrothers »

kingofthehill wrote:
thewaterboy wrote:Stewart (current Irish U20 scrum half) is eligible for U20 again next year also. Presumably he will make the team ahead of O'Donnell on experience alone

Some talented boys coming through. Exciting times for Ulster if they treat them all right.

The 9/10/12&13/15 (O'Donnell / Lowry / Hume / Finnegan) axis has been a revelation...they just know what the other one is going to do.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

ChuckleBrothers wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:

The 9/10/12&13/15 (O'Donnell / Lowry / Hume / Finnegan) axis has been a revelation...they just know what the other one is going to do.
Yep all those boys plus Reid should go straight into academy.

Dunleavy, Clarke, O'Toole and Dalton are the others.