Ulster v Leinster Saturday March 12th 7:35pm KO Premier Sports 1 & TG4

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Ulster v Leinster Saturday March 12th 7:35pm KO Premier Sports 1 & TG4

Post by kingofthehill »

allezlesverres wrote:I very much hope that's an in-the-know team KOTH because that would be the dream scenario to be almost fully loaded for the match. Bit harsh on young Stew to drop out of the starting team after a brilliant performance at 15 last week but presumably he will be deployed off the bench at 50 minutes either at 13 or 15.
Apologies Hume is 24th man so it has to be Moore at 13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Is timoney not 24th man also? Can't imagine Coombes is ahead of him.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

jean valjean wrote:Is timoney not 24th man also? Can't imagine Coombes is ahead of him.
We will know in 15minsImage

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Ulster team to play Leinster Rugby, United Rugby Championship Round 9, Saturday 12 March at Kingspan Stadium, 7.35pm kick-off, live on Premier Sports, TG4 and URC TV:
(15-9) Mike Lowry, Robert Baloucoune, Stewart Moore, Stuart McCloskey, Craig Gilroy, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak;

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, John Andrew, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor (Capt.), Sam Carter, Marcus Rea, Nick Timoney, Duane Vermeulen.

Replacements: Tom Stewart, Eric O’Sullivan, Gareth Milasinovich, Mick Kearney, Jordi Murphy, John Cooney, Ian Madigan, Ben Moxham.

Good we got Lowry and Timoney, Treadwell was spotted at Pirrie Park yesterday, so may have picked up a knock / travelling with Ireland as cover.
Last edited by Neill_M on Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Neill_M wrote:Ulster team to play Leinster Rugby, United Rugby Championship Round 9, Saturday 12 March at Kingspan Stadium, 7.35pm kick-off, live on Premier Sports, TG4 and URC TV:
(15-9) Mike Lowry, Robert Baloucoune, Stewart Moore, Stuart McCloskey, Craig Gilroy, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak;

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, John Andrew, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor (Capt.), Sam Carter, Marcus Rea, Nick Timoney, Duane Vermeulen.

Replacements: Tom Stewart, Eric O’Sullivan, Gareth Milasinovich, Mick Kearney, Jordi Murphy, John Cooney, Ian Madigan, Ben Moxham.
Cooney not starting is a surprise.

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Leinster Rugby team v Ulster Rugby (appearances in brackets):

15. Jimmy O’Brien (43)
14. Adam Byrne (64)
13. Rory O’Loughlin (92)
12. Jamie Osborne (14)
11. Tommy O’Brien (17)
10. Ross Byrne (118)
9. Luke McGrath CAPTAIN (165)

1. Ed Byrne (79)
2. James Tracy (137)
3. Michael Ala’alatoa (14)
4. Ross Molony (129)
5. Joe McCarthy (3)
6. Rhys Ruddock (201)
7. Scott Penny (36)
8. Max Deegan (78)

Replacements:

16. Seán Cronin (202)
17. Peter Dooley (100)
18. Thomas Clarkson (13)
19. Devin Toner (275)
20. Dan Leavy (78)
21. Nick McCarthy (43)
22. David Hawkshaw (8)
23. Martin Moloney (3)
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Looking forward to this now, should be a cracker. Hopefully the weather holds off and we get some decent running rugby.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Weather to be stinkin 😫 Was looking forward to seeing Lowry and Bala light it up.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Good team although shame about the ref and weather. Where is Hume ?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Setanta wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:50 pm Good team although shame about the ref and weather. Where is Hume ?
With Ireland I assume as centre cover.
Thelaw
Steward

Post by Thelaw »

Carter.

Why is this waste of a shirt still being played. Or have we truly got no one else fit?
Dura lex sed lex
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

I know I'm in a minority when it comes to Carter. Look I'm not saying he's the standard of NIQ we want but I don't think he is the total busted flush some make him out to be. I've said before, and I maintain, that a lot of the key 2nd row jobs are done better when he is on the pitch than when he isn't. He is excellent in the lineout and he is one of our best players in setting an attacking maul. His scrummaging is fine - no better or worse than other options. His carrying in the tight is meh. He generally carries poor quality ball when he has to, but doesn't do much more other than present it back for the next phase. Having said that, it isn't like any of our other locks (Henderson aside) is a rampaging hard carrying mad man.

The thing that really gets people's backs up is he doesn't always look like he is trying hard in defence, and that's a fair criticism.

Given the likely weather and importance of lineouts and driving mauls, I'm not surprised or disappointed to see him selected. It's not like the other option, Kearney, is Sam Whitelock incarnate.
volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

HammerTime wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:16 pm Weather to be stinkin 😫 Was looking forward to seeing Lowry and Bala light it up.
Yea Hammer 90% chance heavy rain temp 7 degrees feels like with wind temperature 3 degrees wind 15mph with possible 35 mph gusts.
Warm woolies, full length waterproof jacket, and two hip flasks >drink1 :D
El Diablo
Novice

Post by El Diablo »

Finally sold my tickets so definately wont be travelling up. Next time.
Ulster definately have the advantage in the backs. Doak is a class act and head and shoulders above Luke McGrath at the minute. I think our backline will leak tries.
The key as always on a filthy night is the pack. Deegan and Penny are making their way back from injury and a starting to show good form again but the one to watch is no 5 Joe McCarthy. Tomorrow night will be his toughest test but he is a bundle of power and energy. He is non-stop for 80 minutes. How Murphy refs the breakdown is key. Nick Timoney will be chomping at the bit for turnovers but Murphy can be pedantic at times and the jackle has to be perfect. If he gets away with living on the edge early on it could be a long night for Leinster. Enjoy.
We like to MOVE IT, MOVE IT!!!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Dublin4 wrote:sorry if I gave offence, but I think you will find almost all the Leinster first XV in the 23 tomorrow.
If Ireland are the firsts, where does that leave Ulster now? Leinster 4ths?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?