And today, joining the underground .....

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Jetstream
Steward

Re: And today, joining the underground .....

Post by Jetstream »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:52 am
Jetstream wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:21 pm A lot of respect disappeared for the Monarchy when they paid £12m to keep a paedophile out of prison.
Whatever your views of the Monarchy, it appears that the Monarch herself insisted that he pay that £12m himself out of his own pocket, and that the monarchy would not bail him out. He had to sell one of his possessions in Switzerland to raise the dosh.

Of course the fact that it had been owned by randy Andy no doubt inflated the price he got for that, and no doubt also, it was through his position as a member of "The Firm" that he had accrued the money to buy it in the first place.

But that's a different matter - the monarch may have continued to love him as a son, but she very clearly distanced the monarchy from his seedy lifestyle.

Pp

I am still more inclined to be a royalist than a republican (small 'r'), albeit much less so than my parents who were ardent royalsits, and I have no doubt that I was also influenced by Queen Elizabeth's personal integrity over many years while some other members of the family have done their best to bring The Firm into disrepute.

I look forward to seeing how Charles equips himself as king. I think he has learned from past mistakes and will continue in the manner of his mama, but time will tell. I wonder if bothers him that based on past owners of his title, he has a fifty/fifty chance of losing his head? :duck:

Long live the 73 year old king. :thumleft:
Paid for it out of his own pocket!!! Cost of supporting the monarchy increased from £88m to £100m in the last fiscal year. £12m increase. Go figure!
I respect the Queen but have no respect for Charles who spent his time shagging Camila behind his wife's back. Young William apparently is continuing the trend and is apparently unable to keep his zipper up. As for grand uncle Louis. Will the truth ever come out?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Jetstream wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:47 am
Jetstream wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:21 pm A lot of respect disappeared for the Monarchy when they paid £12m to keep a paedophile out of prison.
Whatever your views of the Monarchy, it appears that the Monarch herself insisted that he pay that £12m himself out of his own pocket, and that the monarchy would not bail him out. He had to sell one of his possessions in Switzerland to raise the dosh.

Of course the fact that it had been owned by randy Andy no doubt inflated the price he got for that, and no doubt also, it was through his position as a member of "The Firm" that he had accrued the money to buy it in the first place.

But that's a different matter - the monarch may have continued to love him as a son, but she very clearly distanced the monarchy from his seedy lifestyle.

Pp

I am still more inclined to be a royalist than a republican (small 'r'), albeit much less so than my parents who were ardent royalsits, and I have no doubt that I was also influenced by Queen Elizabeth's personal integrity over many years while some other members of the family have done their best to bring The Firm into disrepute.

I look forward to seeing how Charles equips himself as king. I think he has learned from past mistakes and will continue in the manner of his mama, but time will tell. I wonder if bothers him that based on past owners of his title, he has a fifty/fifty chance of losing his head? :duck:

Paid for it out of his own pocket!!! Cost of supporting the monarchy increased from £88m to £100m in the last fiscal year. £12m increase. Go figure!
I respect the Queen but have no respect for Charles who spent his time shagging Camila behind his wife's back. Young William apparently is continuing the trend and is apparently unable to keep his zipper up. As for grand uncle Louis. Will the truth ever come out?
I acknowledged the "paid for it out of his own pocket" bit if you care to re-read it - I just put it a different way. :roll:

As for Charlie-boy "shagging Camilla behind his wife's back", I doubt very much that his wife really cared that much as she was already putting it about quite a bit - and by most accepted timescales, had been doing so before Charles did.

Sadly the behaviour of both is no different from a that of many people these days, except that theirs is played out in the public forum much more. Do I approve that? No, but nor do I condemn. It is as i said, not that dissimilar to what is seen as normal for many. But Diana and her supporters cannot have it both ways - her extra-matrimonial behaviour was at least the same as his, and probably predated his, albeit through her misery in a marriage that was wrong for both of them.

As for young William - I have no knowledge of what you allege, but nor do I have any interest.

I have already spent too many minutes on here on a subject that interests me very little. OUT.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Every sympathy to the Ulster fans on the loss of Queen Elizabeth who was a much admired and respected lady down here.
I suspect King Charles will turn out very well.
Even though I am a republican, with very much a small "r", I will enjoy the pomp and circumstance of the next ten days which is a remarkable and timeless ritual. Nobody does it half as well as the British.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Dublin4 wrote:Every sympathy to the Ulster fans on the loss of Queen Elizabeth who was a much admired and respected lady down here.
Even though I am a republican, with very much a small "r", I will enjoy the pomp and circumstance of the next ten days which is a remarkable and timeless ritual. Nobody does it half as well as the British.
The proclamation of a head of state is an attack on democracy, freedom, choice and liberty. There is no such thing as royalty. A made up concept perpetuated by people who cannot think of something different.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Keep him out of prison? :scratch: If he had of faced a criminal court rather than a civil court your statement may stack up.
Andrew was never prosecuted in a criminal case as the American judicial system deemed insufficient evidence to pursue a trial. The civil case was all about the money.

Edit. An oversensitive Ulster fan having listened to absolute guff spouted parroting populist nonsense about a trial a few years back. I'm no fan of Andrews for the record.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:14 pm
Keep him out of prison? :scratch: If he had of faced a criminal court rather than a civil court your statement may stack up.
Andrew was never prosecuted in a criminal case as the American judicial system deemed insufficient evidence to pursue a trial. The civil case was all about the money.

Edit. An oversensitive Ulster fan having listened to absolute guff spouted parroting populist nonsense about a trial a few years back. I'm no fan of Andrews for the record.
I don't consider myself over-sensitive. Go back to your Daily Mail/Express and read a few more fairy stories.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Jetstream wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:47 am

Pp

Nothing to do with the 55 million (an increase of 41%) spent on Buckingham Palace then?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dublin4 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:32 am Every sympathy to the Ulster fans on the loss of Queen Elizabeth who was a much admired and respected lady down here.
Have to say, I enjoy all that stuff too. Diana's funeral was a belter. Elton aside, the music was excellent and this one will have to be better.

Also looking forward to witnessing a coronation.

Doesn't make it right though. Whatever way you look at it,it's all plain wrong.

Charlie's not the worst and seems to be a lot warmer and more of a free thinker than his Ma. I'd still take his head off (more in a metaphorical stamps and currency way you understand :lol: )

Will is a boring young fogey who unlike his pater and bro is devoid of humour. I feel like he's 20 years older than me!

I've come to the conclusion that it's not so much the Royals I despise as the sycophantic English (and some other British) public and of course the media who tell the Daily Heil readers and Alf Garnetts what to think.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Christ, people defending Andrew. Bin the forum.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Jetstream wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:35 pm

I don't consider myself over-sensitive. Go back to your Daily Mail/Express and read a few more fairy stories.
You've lost me, however I'm not surprised. Are you advising Andrew could of gone to jail in a civil court case?

If he was going to prison in a civil case it would be a first.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:49 pm
Jetstream wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:35 pm

You've lost me, however I'm not surprised. Are you advising Andrew could of gone to jail in a civil court case?

If he was going to prison in a civil case it would be a first.
The last I read was that the Federal authorities still wanted to interview him but I bow to your greater knowledge. As you can gather I am not an avid follower of him.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:35 pm Christ, people defending Andrew. Bin the forum.
Must have missed that - have checked, but don't see anyone defending him, simply some correcting the incorrect.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:29 pm Will is a boring young fogey who unlike his pater and bro is devoid of humour.
Seems to me that since his marriage, Harry is the one who is devoid of humour. I don't necessarily link his marriage with that loss of joy, but yer woman's spoutings must be hard for him to defend, or at least not contradict.

I also wonder if he isn't suffering from PTSD or some other mental health issue, perhaps linked to his time in Afghanistan where unlike his uncle Andy in the south Atlantic (who was hidden away on the far side of the task force away from Argie attack), Harry really was at the cutting edge of the conflict and no doubt witnessed things that no human bean should be doing to another human bean. There have been many such cases from within HM forces, and being royal (or having ditched royal status) is no protection against such illness. But then what would I know?
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dublin4 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:32 am Every sympathy to the Ulster fans on the loss of Queen Elizabeth who was a much admired and respected lady down here.
Thanks for that D4

Only in Ulster (or the occupied 6 counties at least) though would you find us very quickly turning HM's death into anti-monarchist protest and an argument about Randy Andy's avoidance of a civil court action in which apparently he might even have gone to jail. :roll:

Ulster, eh? :roll:
I'm not arguing -
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Thanks for that D4

Only in Ulster (or the occupied 6 counties at least) though would you find us very quickly turning HM's death into anti-monarchist protest and an argument about Randy Andy's avoidance of a civil court action in which apparently he might even have gone to jail. :roll:

Ulster, eh? :roll:
Why would it not spark debate? A man has literally just been declared head of state for no other reason than because his mum was doing until she died.

Your Randy Andy comment is fcuking disgusting btw. He is excused of something extremely depraved. Not merely can't keep his pecker in his pants a bit randy type of thing.

Go on though, let's see MFers continue to leap to his defence.