Glasgow Vs Ulster Fri 17th Feb @ 7.45pm Viaplay Sports 1

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Re: Glasgow Vs Ulster Fri 17th Feb @ 7.45pm Viaplay Sports 1

Post by solidarity »

If the enderage Irish teams are anything to go by, the future is not bright for Ulster.
If our abuility to catch the ball is not anything to go by, the future is not bright for Ulster.
If our ability to keep the ball in the breakdown is anything to go by, the future is not bright for Ulser.
If our 'star' players continue to underperform, the future is not bright for Ulster.

A random list of four. Undoubtedly there are many more.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Look at the bang average signings last summer.

Anybody trying to coach Ulster has one hand tied behind their back.

It’s about time the IRFU reviewed their racist recruitment rules.

Some of Ulster’s best supporters are from outside of Ireland you know.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

The frustrating thing to watch is our seemingly mindless shape in attack (and defence but that's another issue). Watch leinster and ireland and see how quick after a tackle the forwards are set into their pods. Even scarlets were doing that pretty well today. Ulster just don't seem to have any shape that the team understand. It's just one up off 9 a few times then kick or fling it to Billy for a massive loss of territory. Billy's not the messiah but he has no one working around him or maybe no one knows where to go. It's hardly surprising he can't unlock defences when he doesn't have any lock picks to use.

I think this comes back to Dan's emphasis on forward play. Big slow trundling carries with little flair. It looks more and more like all the flair (and the defence) came from JP.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Giants are up 7 zip.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:07 pm Look at the bang average signings last summer.

Anybody trying to coach Ulster has one hand tied behind their back.

It’s about time the IRFU reviewed their racist recruitment rules.

Some of Ulster’s best supporters are from outside of Ireland you know.
JTA? :afro:
Exterminate all rational thought
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

He’s kind of overshadowed Moore, FBR, Shea whatever he’s called, Reffell, Flannery and McDonald, hasn’t he?

Nicely illustrating my point….
RavenhillSUFTUM
Novice

Post by RavenhillSUFTUM »

Lurgan Lad wrote:Coming round to McFarland leaving, way too many players sidelined for extended periods of time. If you are unhappy with a person's application in training or a match I could accept dropping them for a game and letting them know why. If they up their game immediately then surely the lesson is learnt and have them available for selection. If it goes on longer than that how does it help Ulster?
Petrie and Cunningham at the end of the day I have know idea what they are responsible for, and that in itself is a big problem. Given Ulster hasn't really progressed under them either on the professional side, the academy, the club game or basic administration like making sure a pitch is playable leads me to conclude we wouldn't miss either of them.
What exactly has Petrie achieved during his time? Atmosphere at Ravenhill is terrible, fiasco with the La Rochelle game especially letting their fans in. The list goes on. Time for Petrie, Cunningham and McFarland to pack the bags.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

We were playing much better stuff last year with the same personnel, so the signings aren't the problem. Remember those nice tip on passes our front 5 used to do to give guys a chance to get over the gain line? Remember those strike moves in midfield with hard running centres or wingers coming in-field? All but non-existent this year.
Without Hendo and McCloskey our go forward is stymied hugely.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

RavenhillSUFTUM wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:12 pm
Lurgan Lad wrote:Coming round to McFarland leaving, way too many players sidelined for extended periods of time. If you are unhappy with a person's application in training or a match I could accept dropping them for a game and letting them know why. If they up their game immediately then surely the lesson is learnt and have them available for selection. If it goes on longer than that how does it help Ulster?
Petrie and Cunningham at the end of the day I have know idea what they are responsible for, and that in itself is a big problem. Given Ulster hasn't really progressed under them either on the professional side, the academy, the club game or basic administration like making sure a pitch is playable leads me to conclude we wouldn't miss either of them.
What exactly has Petrie achieved during his time? Atmosphere at Ravenhill is terrible, fiasco with the La Rochelle game especially letting their fans in. The list goes on. Time for Petrie, Cunningham and McFarland to pack the bags.
Welcome to the forum - did Bakebook ban you?
RavenhillSUFTUM
Novice

jean valjean wrote:We were playing much better stuff last year with the same personnel, so the signings aren't the problem. Remember those nice tip on passes our front 5 used to do to give guys a chance to get over the gain line? Remember those strike moves in midfield with hard running centres or wingers coming in-field? All but non-existent this year.
What’s changed in the year but? Attack coach is the same and players largely the same. Clearly Payne added more than just defence
RavenhillSUFTUM
Novice

justinr73 wrote:
RavenhillSUFTUM wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:12 pm
Welcome to the forum - did Bakebook ban you?
Sick of UR deleting comments when one was critical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

jean valjean wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:15 pm We were playing much better stuff last year with the same personnel, so the signings aren't the problem. Remember those nice tip on passes our front 5 used to do to give guys a chance to get over the gain line? Remember those strike moves in midfield with hard running centres or wingers coming in-field? All but non-existent this year.
Disagree - how can we have squad depth when our new signings can’t get anywhere near the team?

Reffell has been unlucky with injuries, admittedly, and can clearly tackle, if (quite conceivably) nothing else.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Apart from JTA, Reffell is the only one we should retain. Unlucky with injury and rated at Sarries.
The rest? Meh filler.
Exterminate all rational thought
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Extensions for everyone.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
RavenhillSUFTUM
Novice

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Apart from JTA, Reffell is the only one we should retain. Unlucky with injury and rated at Sarries.
The rest? Meh filler.
JTA has been great. Any sign of a contract extension?