Ulster v Edinburgh Friday April 21 7:35pm - Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Edinburgh Friday April 21 7:35pm - Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by justinr73 »

solidarity wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:49 pm Really glad we had these last three games - duff teams at home. I dread to think what would have happened if we'd had to face some of the bigger boys away.

Normally I'm sympathetic to the ref but this was the worst example of officiating I've seen in a long time, from all officials.
We’d beaten some of those already.

It’s not unreasonable to get to play the poorer teams at home too.

Second place on the log is good going and a big FU to some of the rubbish that was spouted after we lost a few games in the last couple of minutes.
SUFTUM_19
Novice

Re: Ulster v Edinburgh Friday April 21 7:35pm - Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by SUFTUM_19 »

Thought we were very poor until Stockdale’s try, but from then I think we settled down and did what we needed to do. Not a vintage performance, helped by some strange referring decisions, but got the win and secured second which is a big achievement.

The scrum seemed a bit hit or miss, we won a few penalties and then lost a few when Nel came on, but overall the pack was good. Treadwell + Vermeulen were outstanding. McCann and Timoney grew into the game well. Credit to Carter coming off the bench too, thought he made an impact.

In the backs Cooney was very strong, Stockdale is getting better and better by game, and Gilroy put in a really good shift as well. Concerning losing Warwick, Herring, Hume, Marshall, Baloucoune and Lowry within one game - never mind not being able to field a front row next season, it’s this season I’m worried about! currently Sutherland, Warwick, EOS, Moore and TOT all seem to be having difficulties! Think we finished the game with Gilroy in the centre and Timoney and Doak as our wingers!

Edinburgh are so frustrating, have so much talent and looked so dangerous for the first 20/25 mins but couldn’t keep it up. Would be a real top team if they were consistent. Kinghorn’s pass to Cooney was unbelievable, don’t think Cooney could believe his luck.

Overall job done, we will need to be a lot better for the knockouts but we seem to be emerging from the mid season rut at least and picking up a bit of form.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

I enjoyed the game.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:19 pm >TLGH
Dave wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:42 pm How did Kinghorn not see Cooney?

Match fixing?
Possibly the worst pass ever.

As expected, Edinburgh didn’t really want to know beyond putting on a bit of a show for their travelling stag dos early doors.

They must have packed their boots after all but it was flip-flops from half-time.

Cracking pair of pens from Sir John.
Most have been quite a few of them on the Prom judging by the noise when Schoeman got the ball.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

justinr73 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:23 pm
solidarity wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:49 pm Really glad we had these last three games - duff teams at home. I dread to think what would have happened if we'd had to face some of the bigger boys away.

Normally I'm sympathetic to the ref but this was the worst example of officiating I've seen in a long time, from all officials.

Second place on the log is good going and a big FU to some of the rubbish that was spouted after we lost a few games in the last couple of minutes.
So beating 3 duffer sides with nothing to play for, at home, irradicates our capitulation(s) in Nov-Jan?

My feelings at the time were that we are not improving and the gap between ourselves and the top-table of teams in Europe was growing. Stuttering to wins against the likes of Dragons and Embra don't change my view.

Also worth remembering that it took a massive performance from a terrible Munster team against the Stormers to put us in this position.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Yep, we won't be making a semi-final with that performance.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

If top table in Europe is your benchmark or coming anywhere close to Leinster, Toulouse or La Rochelle is your aspiration then you're supporting the wrong team. The current squad or management aren't to blame for that, nor will they get you there. We kicked off last night with two Ulster born forwards (neither international standard), until our pathway starts producing Ulster grown talent in abundance Ulster and top table is laughable. We're not getting there picking players others cast aside, as honest as they are. Could argue we've a fantastic starting pack when all are fit but the reality is you need that times by at least three and even then teams like Racing don't seem to be any closer than ourselves.

Now onto last nights game, a potential banana skin. The Edinburgh teamsheet looked much better than their "log" position. A back row of with two Scottish starting internationals (one a British and Irish Lion) and Mata who they haven't had on the park together much this season looked formidable. The first twenty five minutes wasn't comfortable, however after Edinburghs try on 8 minutes they didn't score again until the 76th, during which time we put points on the board whilst constantly reshuffling the team, losing six to injury, finishing the game with an open side and scrum half in the back three. After we worked them out and despite losing 6, we somehow put a game plan together that got us what we needed. Satisfying. Let's hope we've enough fit players to contest a quarter final.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

No coherent attacking strategy, a gift of an intercept try, a try where most defenders would have put Baloucoune into touch handily enough, double digit turnovers, knocking on in contact so well and so consistently that you wonder if we’re actually coaching it as a skill, oh, and running into teammates. We came second over 18 games, huge respect for that, but it’s the old kissing your sister analogy, just drives you mad wondering how good we could be if we had a semblance of a fluid attack. We will be the team who the other quarterfinalists will want to play.

And finally, an old chestnut of mine, the optics of the coaches staring at laptops, intense faces, presumably passes insightful messages down to the water carriers - it means f**k all guys, if Pep Guardiola reckons he’s more effective standing on the touch line barking at them, is it not worth a go, just the odd time, but sure what would Pep know…..
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:34 am If top table in Europe is your benchmark or coming anywhere close to Leinster, Toulouse or La Rochelle is your aspiration then you're supporting the wrong team. The current squad or management aren't to blame for that, nor will they get you there.
I get that.

Depressingly thats why I don't think we are brill for finishing 2nd in the URC (our best attainable position tbf), when 2nd is so very far away from 1st. Kudos to the lads for pulling their heads out of their arses after the Nov-Jan debacle, but we still have 0.0000001% chance of beating a fully stacked Leinster in Dublin, if we make it that far.
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

So It Is wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:34 am If top table in Europe is your benchmark or coming anywhere close to Leinster, Toulouse or La Rochelle is your aspiration then you're supporting the wrong team. The current squad or management aren't to blame for that, nor will they get you there.
I get that.

Depressingly thats why I don't think we are brill for finishing 2nd in the URC (our best attainable position tbf), when 2nd is so very far away from 1st. Kudos to the lads for pulling their heads out of their arses after the Nov-Jan debacle, but we still have 0.0000001% chance of beating a fully stacked Leinster in Dublin, if we make it that far.
Might as well give up then!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

:argue:
So It Is wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:36 am
justinr73 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:23 pm

So beating 3 duffer sides with nothing to play for, at home, irradicates our capitulation(s) in Nov-Jan?

My feelings at the time were that we are not improving and the gap between ourselves and the top-table of teams in Europe was growing. Stuttering to wins against the likes of Dragons and Embra don't change my view.

Also worth remembering that it took a massive performance from a terrible Munster team against the Stormers to put us in this position.
Teams beat other teams. And then you add up the accrued points. That’s kind of how a league works.

Am gonna have a quick look on the Man City website to see if there’s anyone going “Ooh it’s worth remembering that it took Arsenal labouring to consecutive draws against struggling West Ham and the simply awful Saints to put us in this position.”

What is actually worth remembering is that finishing top two doesn’t happen that often and, when it does, the key is to enjoy the ride.
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

After a bad start against an initially fired up Edinburgh - I thought we did well and showed a lot of character. Character that was missing a few months ago.

A second place finish in the URC is a great performance for Ulster. We are not brill but we certainly punch above our weight.

Hopefully the injuries were not too serious and we have a strong team for the quarters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Dave wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:56 pm Running out of props though. Discuss...
We're sorted. Don't need JTA.... UR are gonna close their eyes, count to 10 and make the the very bad thing go away. Its their reality and we're committing hate speech. Haters gonna hate. Milo self identifies as a world class TH, as does BB so we're fine. UR will announce Dylan Mulvaney as TH cover for next year. Fill the jersey and Pass the Bud.
Exterminate all rational thought
ljsulster
Novice

Post by ljsulster »

Marco wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:51 am No coherent attacking strategy, a gift of an intercept try, a try where most defenders would have put Baloucoune into touch handily enough, double digit turnovers, knocking on in contact so well and so consistently that you wonder if we’re actually coaching it as a skill, oh, and running into teammates. We came second over 18 games, huge respect for that, but it’s the old kissing your sister analogy, just drives you mad wondering how good we could be if we had a semblance of a fluid attack. We will be the team who the other quarterfinalists will want to play.

And finally, an old chestnut of mine, the optics of the coaches staring at laptops, intense faces, presumably passes insightful messages down to the water carriers - it means f**k all guys, if Pep Guardiola reckons he’s more effective standing on the touch line barking at them, is it not worth a go, just the odd time, but sure what would Pep know…..
You say most defenders put Baloucoune in touch as if it was some third string URC level winger when it was British and Irish lion test winger Duhan van der merwe. How about we credit balocoune for his skill to get the offload away
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Off the Top wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:14 am
So It Is wrote:
I get that.

Might as well give up then!
Aye, too rough that sport.
Better off playing golf :thumright: