Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by HammerTime »

kingofthehill wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:45 pm
HammerTime wrote:Teachers are teachers at the end of the day and aren’t any different from the rest of the public sector. Most Will do as little as as they can get away with yet moan that they’re hard done by. Expecting any decent results from anything Civil servant led is pot luck.
Hence why rugby and other sports are dying a slow death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d say rugby is the only major sport that is dying out in Ulster. Football and especially GAA are flourishing. I’m saying that woman’s rugby has seen a decent boost which is good.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

HammerTime wrote:
kingofthehill wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:45 pm
HammerTime wrote:Teachers are teachers at the end of the day and aren’t any different from the rest of the public sector. Most Will do as little as as they can get away with yet moan that they’re hard done by. Expecting any decent results from anything Civil servant led is pot luck.
Hence why rugby and other sports are dying a slow death.

I’d say rugby is the only major sport that is dying out in Ulster. Football and especially GAA are flourishing. I’m saying that woman’s rugby has seen a decent boost which is good.
Standard wise is it improving or just numbers?

The King is dead. Long live the King.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

HammerTime wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:43 pm Teachers are teachers at the end of the day and aren’t any different from the rest of the public sector. Most Will do as little as as they can get away with yet moan that they’re hard done by. Expecting any decent results from anything Civil servant led is always going to be hit and miss.
Sorry Hammer, I can't accept this comment on teachers. Far too sweepingly unfair. Of course there are some jobsworths, but most of the teachers I know, including my daughter, put in long hours, with little respect for what they do for kids. Primary school teachers spend too much time trying to do what parents ought to be doing so it's hard for them to go a second extra mile. My daughter takes extra curricular hockey but she only has so much time and energy.
Rant over.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Bit off topic but I can't resist getting involved. My recent observations on teachers are based on watching my grandsons at two different grammar schools. ( especially during pandemic) . I absolutely take on board So!ids comments about dedicated teachers and the requirements for them at primary schools to be taking on parental roles. My only reservation is the apparent inability of the profession to performance management " poor " teachers ( and this is the responsibility of Head Teachers) . So ( a bit like the Civil Service in which I worked for 35 years) getting rid of poor performers is well nigh impossible.
In civil service terms, just shift them around. In schools,just leave them where they are , creating disillusionment, lack of motivation and eagerness to learn for generations of kids. Unforgivable!! My rant over!
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Any word on the Academy?

Post by kingofthehill »

Bobbievee wrote:Bit off topic but I can't resist getting involved. My recent observations on teachers are based on watching my grandsons at two different grammar schools. ( especially during pandemic) . I absolutely take on board So!ids comments about dedicated teachers and the requirements for them at primary schools to be taking on parental roles. My only reservation is the apparent inability of the profession to performance management " poor " teachers ( and this is the responsibility of Head Teachers) . So ( a bit like the Civil Service in which I worked for 35 years) getting rid of poor performers is well nigh impossible.
In civil service terms, just shift them around. In schools,just leave them where they are , creating disillusionment, lack of motivation and eagerness to learn for generations of kids. Unforgivable!! My rant over!
Another view, teachers typically don't receive substantial compensation for extracurricular activities (if any at all). Given this, it raises the question: why would they willingly commit to two afternoons a week and a Saturday when they have no obligation to do so? There are very few other careers that would be willing to 6-8 hours over the week for free.

Today's teachers often find themselves inundated with administrative tasks and the need to meet various tickboxes. On top of this, they frequently engage with parents, sometimes multiple times a day. Considering this workload, why would they willingly take on the additional responsibilities of an extracurricular role?

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Sometimes King they buy into the ethos that education is not to fill their pupils heads with woke transgender sexual bull but to cater not only to the child's mind but his physical fitness and well being -- and when conducting interviews to fill the posts within the school the interviewers make that a high prior essential factor rather than their political outlook assuming their teaching abilities meet the required level.

Of course that also requires a parental knowledge that health in later life depends on physical fitness in childhood who encourage enthusiastic participation in sport.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

rumncoke wrote:Sometimes King they buy into the ethos that education is not to fill their pupils heads with woke transgender sexual bull but to cater not only to the child's mind but his physical fitness and well being -- and when conducting interviews to fill the posts within the school the interviewers make that a high prior essential factor rather than their political outlook assuming their teaching abilities meet the required level.

Of course that also requires a parental knowledge that health in later life depends on physical fitness in childhood who encourage enthusiastic participation in sport.
I'm not sure how to respond to your statement.

Are you implying that teachers should work additional hours/extra day without compensation to lead a sports team? And if they choose not to, they're considered "woke"?

shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

rumncoke wrote:Sometimes King they buy into the ethos that education is not to fill their pupils heads with woke transgender sexual bull but to cater not only to the child's mind but his physical fitness and well being -- and when conducting interviews to fill the posts within the school the interviewers make that a high prior essential factor rather than their political outlook assuming their teaching abilities meet the required level.

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Bullneck
Novice

Post by Bullneck »

Re Current teaching issues

As far as i am aware there is a current work to rule with the teachers that are union members and whilst this may not affect those whose contract stipulates an inclusion in games, it would appear to affect those members of teaching staff who provide some extra curricular cover during 'games' classes.

If this is going to continue - and it has been an issue over the past few years on and off - then the Branch WILL have to consider using players and coaches going into schools to to provide leadership, motivation and coaching or the sport will die on its Brennan.

Other than that they will have to reconsider the link with the schools and giving them primacy on these assets by allowing clubs to have first call on their availability on a Saturday morning.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

rumncoke wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:25 am Sometimes King they buy into the ethos that education is not to fill their pupils heads with woke transgender sexual bull but to cater not only to the child's mind but his physical fitness and well being -- and when conducting interviews to fill the posts within the school the interviewers make that a high prior essential factor rather than their political outlook assuming their teaching abilities meet the required level.

Oh my ... 🥱
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Hilarious to see people using the terms they are instructed to by their preferred right wing media sources. Can't think of something original to say so I'll input the commanded pejorative term, mostly it's 'woke' atm.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I am not right wing or left wing nor am I a follower of those who are members of the "thought police" who condemn people for non agreement to popular attitudes and ideas that the world must cater for every minority regardless of cost and the need to adhere to social norms .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

kingofthehill wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:58 pm
solidarity wrote:I think Sullivan Upper went through a golden period when Willie Anderson was there coaching. If my memory is correct, here's a piece of evidence that spending a bit of money on a good coach is well worth it.

Is there not an argument for grammar schools in NI to have a sports stream, with both a fee paying element and scholarships, or is there some sort of legal reason not to do this?

Ashfield have some sort of football 'academy' thing going. No chance of a rugby equivalent?

Rockport school has a golf academy that, I assume, pays for itself.

What about a few schools working together (with the local club?): North Down schools; Ballymena schools: Lisburn and district schools etc.

If an eejit like me can think these thoughts, surely, surely Ulster Rugby can get their act together
Calling it a "golden period" might be a bit of an exaggeration Image. They branded themselves with the nickname "Sully Sharks" and even dubbed their pitch the "Shark Tank," but it's worth noting that they didn't win anything.

I have a suspicion that Wallace High School charges for extracurricular activities, though I'm open to being corrected or receiving more accurate information.

Correct at senior level
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

kingofthehill wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:31 am
Bobbievee wrote:Bit off topic but I can't resist getting involved. My recent observations on teachers are based on watching my grandsons at two different grammar schools. ( especially during pandemic) . I absolutely take on board So!ids comments about dedicated teachers and the requirements for them at primary schools to be taking on parental roles. My only reservation is the apparent inability of the profession to performance management " poor " teachers ( and this is the responsibility of Head Teachers) . So ( a bit like the Civil Service in which I worked for 35 years) getting rid of poor performers is well nigh impossible.
Another view, teachers typically don't receive substantial compensation for extracurricular activities (if any at all). Given this, it raises the question: why would they willingly commit to two afternoons a week and a Saturday when they have no obligation to do so? There are very few other careers that would be willing to 6-8 hours over the week for free.

Today's teachers often find themselves inundated with administrative tasks and the need to meet various tickboxes. On top of this, they frequently engage with parents, sometimes multiple times a day. Considering this workload, why would they willingly take on the additional responsibilities of an extracurricular role?

Some schools will provide financial compensation for Saturday sport etc but a lot of others won't get paid - only external coaches will get paid in some places and teachers will 'volunteer'. Often PE teachers will have it written into their contract that they have to do after school activities, however, yet still remain on the same pay scale.

Also considering union ASoSA there 100% will be those who coached a team in the past be it rugby, hockey etc at some level of education who will be refusing to do so at the minute, and they are well within their rights to as you say.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

In the past all senior players (at least I think it was all) in the English football leagues worked to obtain FA coaching qualifications. Surely there must be room for a similar scheme for Ulster Rugby players. Use the schools as part of this training.
Last edited by solidarity on Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.