Smoking on the Terrace

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bent Prop
Novice

Smoking on the Terrace

Post by Bent Prop »

It's been a long while since I've posted on this message board although I've been a serial "lurker" for a long time. However, on this occassion I've posted in the hope that someone can assist and advise as to whjat actualy is the smoking policy at Ulster Rugby and in particular on the terrace?

The Branch state that smoking is not permitted in enclosed areas of the ground. However, that could mean anything. I would argue that the entire ground is enclosed by a big wall! The terrace is certainly enclosed three sides and has a roof, yet Eventsec (when they're not harrassing the supporters) say that smoking is permitted on the terrace. One of the plus points of the new stand is that it provides great shelter for those of us on the terrace; but that means that the effluent from cigarettes, cigars and pipes is not dissipated in the way that it used to be. On the old terrace you could have lit up a wood burning stove and no one would have noticed such was the strength of the wind.

I don't want to be a kill joy but my son suffers from asthma and :cowboy: on the terrace were the main reason that he didn't renew his season ticket this year. It seems unbelievable that you can't smoke in an air conditioned building but you can in close proximity to several thousand other persons.

If nothing else it would give Eventsec something else to do :stir:
"You've got to get you first tackle in early, even if it's late."
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Re: Smoking on the Terrace

Post by fuzzylogic »

by Bent Prop » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:56 pm

I don't want to be a kill joy but my son suffers from asthma and on the terrace were the main reason that he didn't renew his season ticket this year.
:scratch: I couldnt even tell you the last time I was stood near anyone smoking on the terrace at Ravers.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

I occasionally see the odd person smoking, but very very rarely, and its such an open and windy place I doubt it would bother your son. The people who do it probably would move downwind if you asked anyway.
Why? Why not?
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

Smoking at Ravenhill, anywhere, is illegal. It is a place of work.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

As one of the converted ex puffers I think a smoking ban should be enforced at Ravenhill as quite rightly it is a public space were there are subcontracted employees at work(eventsec). Taking things to a logical conclusion however, would mean resolving the issue of alcoholic drinks consumed on the terraces - dodgy ground indeed for those people who really need some stimuli to get them through the games :drunken:
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Page 46 of last weeks match programme, and every previous programme over past couple of years
Due to changes in legislation smoking is not permitted in any covered or enclosed areas of the Ravenhill ground.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

My front room where I can smoke, drink, stand where I want and call the ref funking barsteward without upsetting anyone or getting arrested is starting to look good. It doesn't normally rain in there and nobody ever stands in front of the BBC2 blokes camera.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

AyeYerMa wrote:My front room where I can smoke, drink, stand where I want and call the ref funking barsteward without upsetting anyone or getting arrested is starting to look good. It doesn't normally rain in there and nobody ever stands in front of the BBC2 blokes camera.
...and you won't give anyone lung cancer or emphysema...excapt yourself of course.
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

jackthelad wrote:
AyeYerMa wrote:My front room where I can smoke, drink, stand where I want and call the ref funking barsteward without upsetting anyone or getting arrested is starting to look good. It doesn't normally rain in there and nobody ever stands in front of the BBC2 blokes camera.
...and you won't give anyone lung cancer or emphysema...excapt yourself of course.

TBH you wouldn't catch me lighting up on the terrace or the stands. But I do like a wee feg with my beer pre match. That'll be just outside the beer tent there. If you're after some second hand smoke you can stand next me, I won't even charge you.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

The original background was that UR were intent on the whole of Ravenhill being non-smoking. The first introduction of policy fell short of that and smoking was allowed anywhere it was not banned. Hope that makes sense.
jackthelad wrote:Smoking at Ravenhill, anywhere, is illegal. It is a place of work.
Not enough Jack – guy on a building site in open air operating a cement mixer – can he not smoke?
namron wrote:As one of the converted ex puffers I think a smoking ban should be enforced at Ravenhill as quite rightly it is a public space were there are subcontracted employees at work(eventsec).
Similar to Jack above namron.
Rooster wrote:Page 46 of last weeks match programme, and every previous programme over past couple of years
Due to changes in legislation smoking is not permitted in any covered or enclosed areas of the Ravenhill ground.
That is quite correct Rooster. I also recall reading a more detailed description of non-smoking areas at Ravenhill – Main stand (before new stand), Scoop, Beer Tent, Toilets and Branch Offices IIRC. I cannot remember where I read it however.
Aye Yer Ma it sure is starting to look good to me also but I sometimes have to contend with my grandson helping granda watch the game by standing in front of the TV and calling out the shirt numbers and colours. I would never swear when he is around BTW.

I am not entirely convinced that the main stand or the terrace could be declared non-smoking under current legislation but accept that if UR say that the Main Stand is non-smoking I will comply.

Open places have not, I believe, been the subject of a non-smoking order by Govt. under the legislation, even where large number of people are gathered together.

Read the current situation as applicable to enclosed spaces (there are clauses to determine what is enclosed IIRC).
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

cables wrote:guy on a building site in open air operating a cement mixer – can he not smoke?

He could but the messy fecker probably spilt petrol all down it when filling it up, so probably shouldnt :wink:
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

ColinM wrote:
cables wrote:guy on a building site in open air operating a cement mixer – can he not smoke?

He could but the messy fecker probably spilt petrol all down it when filling it up, so probably shouldnt :wink:
unlikely - they're mostly diesel or electric.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

jackthelad wrote:Smoking at Ravenhill, anywhere, is illegal. It is a place of work.

Who for ... the Burger van, cos I haven't seen much hard graft anywhere else lately!!!!

I detest smoking ... very occasionally someone on the Terrace insists in sharing his obnoxious toxic fumes with me ... I let him know that I do not wish to breath his exhaust fumes and then maybe take a whizz over his back so he doesn't feel like it's all give and no take.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

Actually totally banning smoking in an open air venue is a bit ott but I agree if people want to do it there should be designated areas. As an ex-smoker I find the whole practice repulsive but even guys who have stopped for years are not immune to it's charms. A friend of mine who hasn't smoked for years got pished a few weeks ago and some bugger got him smoking again. He's back on them full time. Did anyone follow the story about BUFFO being caught having a smoke in a 'banned' area at Croke Pk, after the All Ireland Final? Even he had to sneak out of his box for a drag.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

As a life long terrace dweller I am actually finding it difficult to recall seeing anyone smoke in recent years. It is obviously not a big problem but I understand anyone being fed up with it if they are subjected to a bake full or worse a lung full of someones outpouring of pollutant.

I would imagine very few would have any objection to having either an "open-season" on smokers or possibly less controversially a designated smoking area - say just in front of the speakers just to allow them to appreciate the feeling of being discomforted by the thoughtlessness of others. :argue:

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.