Ireland v Australia

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Ireland v Australia

Post by Dave »

Stephen Ferris sat out training today as a 'precaution', read into that what you may. Yet there remains a few selection issues for Declan Kidney to resolve. How will the backrow shape up? Half-backs could be anyones guess. Will it be Trimble or Earls? Anyone wish to share their thoughts on selection? I think there is no hiding in this game, we will see exactly where Ireland are at in world rugby terms. Its not a warm-up game or minnow side we are facing this is it, this is what Irish rugby has been building up to for the last six months or more. I can't see us winning against the form team of the tournament, yet as an Irish rugby fan I will always hope and always support. :salut:
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ireland v Australia

Post by Snipe Watson »

O'Brien,Trimble, Healy and possibly Kearney will come in. D'Arcy will remain.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

If that eejit Earls is picked over AT I'll not be a happy girl. For outhalf I wouldn't mind seeing Reddan and Sexton starting with ROG coming on after 55 minutes if it's close. As for back row, I'm not all that clued up on the role of each position, but maybe move Stevie to 7 if fit with SOB at 6 and Heaslip at 8? I remember Stevie covering 7 for Ulster a game last season.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Firstly . . . Dave, was the other Ireland v Australia thread HollywoodMike made 10 hours before this not good enough for you?

Secondly . . .
by shamalicious » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:11 pm

If that eejit Earls is picked over AT I'll not be a happy girl. For outhalf I wouldn't mind seeing Reddan and Sexton starting with ROG coming on after 55 minutes if it's close.
Agree with the AT point, disagree with the Sexton point.

I think I would prefer to see ROG start, cant afford to go missing any 3 pointers like Sexton done against the USA, could be costly against Oz.

Have to say, only want to see Sexton come on with 30 to go if we really need to start chaseing the game or with 15/20 if by some miracle we have a commanding lead and are looking to push on for a BP try.

Personally think the best out come for Ireland is a losing BP.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

If Trimble does not start then stick him on a plane back home as he will be properly mad and knock 7 shades of crap out of Cardiff on Friday :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

It is a very close call between Sexton and ROG, Fuzzy, but from what I saw of ROG on Sunday his kicking wasn't great either. My thinking was that ROG seems to be the better impact player to chase a game.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

ROG came on, missed a pen then slotted 2 conversions . . . Sexton kicked 1 pen, 1 conversion and missed 3 pens.

Add to that his not all that great kicking stats for Ireland. I would take ROG at the moment to play a steady game.

Sexton can come on, and get the backs moving if we really really need to push for tries. If not I would happily take ROG pinging the aussies into the corner all day and giving POC a go at the lineout.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Don't see that Australia have much chance - they just don't have the player numbers. They just have to accept that rugby is the fourth sport and that realistically they'll never be able to compete with the big rugby nations.

that sound about right?
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Also, forgot to mention...
by Dave » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Stephen Ferris sat out training today as a 'precaution', read into that what you may.
With Ferris knee problems, I think this will be a feature now of the rest of his career. He will need to be carefully managed and will only train now on certain sessions.

I would guess todays session with the game on Sat would have been a heavy contact day, no need to put Ferris in that situation, he will now just go through fitness and drills before big games.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

This will be the team...

1. Court...Unless Healy makes a miraculous recovery.
2. Best
3. Ross
4. DOC
5. POC
6. Ferris
7. SOB
8. Heaslip
9. Reddan
10.Sexton
11. Earls
12. Darcy
13. BOD
14. Bowe
15. Kearney....Murphy if not fit

Subs: Buckley, Fla, Ryan, Leamy, Boss, ROG, Trimble

This would be my team

1. Court....Unless Healy makes a miraculous recovery
2. Best
3. Ross
4. DOC
5. POC
6. Ferris
7. Leamy
8. SOB
9. Boss
10. ROG
11. Trimble
12. Sexton
13. BOD
14. Bowe
15. Kearney....Earls if not fit

Subs: Buckley, Fla, Ryan, Heaslip, Murray, McFadden, Earls(P.Wallace if Earls starts)

There's no available alternatives in the front 5 who are better than these named IMO

Leamy instructed to pish off Pocock all day long without getting himself carded. Get Quinnie down to coach him if necessary. :)

SOB hungry and would be wasted at 7. We need him piling forward all day with some help from Ferris who should spend most of his time busting as many Aussies as possible within the laws.

Heaslip will be getting angry and impatient on the bench and can be unleased with about 30 mins to go. Might give him the kick up the árse he needs after last week.

Murray can't be exposed as starter after too many errors the other day. A couple of early errors could see him lose it and see Ireland done for. Reddan too dodgy now so although I don't rate Boss highly it may be the right time for him to come in.

We need control at 10 as we won't have much at 9 regardless of who is selected. ROG is the man for this.

We need a spark in the centre and Sexton could possibly provide it with the pressure off a little.

If Trimble is not selected it would be both an injustice and inexplicable given his form.

Murphy is a load of wánk so I wouldn't even think of him, even if Kearney is not fit. Worst case scenario Bowe can slip in there if Earls gets injured or needed elsewhere.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

darkside lightside wrote:Don't see that Australia have much chance- that sound about right?
Good man D/L. Nice to see such positivity from you. Nice to know I am not the only one who thinks Ireland will win this one.

>TH >TH
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

well Trimby is not on the starting 15 - guess it's time for collective wailing, ranting and gnashing of teeth :( - though I prefer Rooster's idea :D
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

fuzzylogic wrote:Firstly . . . Dave, was the other Ireland v Australia thread HollywoodMike made 10 hours before this not good enough for you?
I didn't think it was good enough for you :bowdown:

Honestly didn't see it, but then is seems to be about bars to watch the game and not the game itself. Clearly no one else seems interested in it. Much like this thread now there is a team thread to discuss!! :salut:
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

darkside lightside wrote:Don't see that Australia have much chance - they just don't have the player numbers. They just have to accept that rugby is the fourth sport and that realistically they'll never be able to compete with the big rugby nations.

that sound about right?
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

No DL they don't have the numbers, what they do have now is their version of a "golden generation" and might just win the next 2 RWCs albeit the ABs will be tough at home.

Loved the sense of irony just the same. :salut:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dave wrote:
fuzzylogic wrote:Firstly . . . Dave, was the other Ireland v Australia thread HollywoodMike made 10 hours before this not good enough for you?
I didn't think it was good enough for you :bowdown:

Honestly didn't see it, but then is seems to be about bars to watch the game and not the game itself. Clearly no one else seems interested in it. Much like this thread now there is a team thread to discuss!! :salut:
Erratum est Fuzzy, no thread started by HWM is good enough, they consist of puerile crap about cheerleaders & alcohol, rugby never appears relevant in them.

Good job as usual Dave, pity I hadn't seen it before the team was announced.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.