Ulster v Clermont

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Ulster v Clermont

Post by ruckover »

Well, here we go guys. This is the game that defines our European season - will it be Heineken or Amlin? Clermont are a very good side, which is extremely obvious, but we all know we have the strength and form to beat them, top the pool and head to a home QF. Honestly, it is looking like a cracking game. Barring any more injuries my team would be:
15. Terblanche
14. Trimble
13. Whitten
12. Wallace
11. Gilroy
10. Pienaar
9. Marshall
1. Court
2. Best
3. Afoa
4. Muller
5. Tuohy
6. Ferris
7. Henry
8. Wannenburg
I don't want to start the whole half back debate again, but I do think we're more of a threat with Marshall-Pienaar.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Ulster v Clermont

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

ruckover wrote:Well, here we go guys. This is the game that defines our European season - will it be Heineken or Amlin? Clermont are a very good side, which is extremely obvious, but we all know we have the strength and form to beat them, top the pool and head to a home QF. Honestly, it is looking like a cracking game. Barring any more injuries my team would be:
15. Terblanche
14. Trimble
13. Whitten
12. Wallace
11. Gilroy
10. Pienaar
9. Marshall
1. Court
2. Best
3. Afoa
4. Muller
5. Tuohy
6. Ferris
7. Henry
8. Wannenburg
I don't want to start the whole half back debate again, but I do think we're more of a threat with Marshall-Pienaar.
Why start it then? :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

I assume Cave is out?
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

againstthehead wrote:I assume Cave is out?
Nothing is confirmed.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Harsh on Whitten, but I think I'd rather have Terblanche at 13 and D'Arcy at 15 than Whitten at 13 if Cave can't make it.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

ruckover wrote:Well, here we go guys. This is the game that defines our European season - will it be Heineken or Amlin? Clermont are a very good side, which is extremely obvious, but we all know we have the strength and form to beat them, top the pool and head to a home QF. Honestly, it is looking like a cracking game. Barring any more injuries my team would be:
15. Terblanche
14. Trimble
13. Whitten
12. Wallace
11. Gilroy
10. Pienaar
9. Marshall
1. Court
2. Best
3. Afoa
4. Muller
5. Tuohy
6. Ferris
7. Henry
8. Wannenburg

Would be amazed if McGlock picked anything but the same starting XV if they are all fit and any changes will be injury enforced. Cave will be given as long as possible to recover.
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

I'd put Whitten at 12 and PW at 13 assuming that is that Cave isn't going to make it
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Nightsoil wrote:Harsh on Whitten, but I think I'd rather have Terblanche at 13 and D'Arcy at 15 than Whitten at 13 if Cave can't make it.
I think the fact that Whitten came on for Cave on Friday night is a big indication that he will start if Cave is not fit. Besides, McGlock is clearly not a big fan of Darcy, it would only need 1 change rather than 2 and Terblanche hasn't played 13 for Ulster yet as far as I'm aware (although I stand to be corrected!).
TinPig
Squire

Post by TinPig »

We all have just witnessed one of the most outstanding team performance from Ulster in recent memory and we have one person doubtful for Saturday.
So the automatic reaction by many is to shuffle around as many positions as possible :roll:
IMO is start with the winning proven combination and if pushed bring Marshall on 10 mins earlier. :cowboy:
I’m feeling Perky this morning. :pig:
ardsrugbyards
Initiate

Post by ardsrugbyards »

TinPig wrote:We all have just witnessed one of the most outstanding team performance from Ulster in recent memory and we have one person doubtful for Saturday.
So the automatic reaction by many is to shuffle around as many positions as possible :roll:
IMO is start with the winning proven combination and if pushed bring Marshall on 10 mins earlier. :cowboy:

+1
I agree if it's not broke don't fix it, Marshall is doing a great job coming off the he seems to read the game well and then he has the extra vavavoooom which no defence can stop come 70mins on their feet.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Assuming Cave (and everyone else) is fit then I would put out the same 15 again.

Whitten for Cave seems the natural choice if not.

Marshall is a good impact sub at the moment.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

If Spence is 100% then maybe spence at 13 but otherwise a PW/Whitten partnership on the cards. Whitten's great physical presence could even be a bonus...
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

againstthehead wrote:If Spence is 100% then maybe spence at 13 but otherwise a PW/Whitten partnership on the cards. Whitten's great physical presence could even be a bonus...
Agreed .the positions could even be swapped depending on set piece attack/ defence scenario where whitten could cover the 10/12 channel more effectively against the big French centres .
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:Lastly, would you not want the bigger man squaring up to Rougerie?
Who is this Rougerie chap you are talking about :red: :cowboy:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Anyone remember when Whitten came on for Cave on Friday night whether he played at 12 or 13? I have a funny feeling that PW may have moved to 13 although I honestly can't remember.