Should Clancy referee another Ulster Game ?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

George Clancy Referee

I would not be happy to see George Clancy refereeing Ulster again
90%
I would happy to see George Clancy refereeing Ulster again if He apologised
No votes
Hes doing a grand job very fair and unbiased decisions in a difficult match
10%

Total votes: 51

namron
Warrior Chief

Should Clancy referee another Ulster Game ?

Post by namron »

Having watched the match again his refereeing of lasts nights game made me want to throw up food I had forgotten ever eaten.
Would the Ulster public be happy to attend his officiating at another match ?
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Re: Should Clancy referee another Ulster Game ?

Post by Neil F »

Clancy is one of the few referees I really can't find my way to defending. Given that I am something of the resident referee cheerleader, I think that's kind of concerning. I think we need an option, "I would be unhappy to see Clancy referee ANY rugby game EVER again."

Although not the problem last night, my major issue with the way Clancy referees games is that he blows up for things he can't possibly have seen. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen him look at a ruck, turn away to see the offside line, turn back to see the ball has been turned over and then blow up for a penalty. In these cases, something illegal may well have happened; in fact, in the balance of probability, it did happen but Clancy didn't see it happen and, therefore, he shouldn't blow up.

I think this inadvertent 'guessing' decisions is kind of a symptom of what we saw last night. He was randomly blowing up at the scrum, for example. Whatever was going on, Clancy wasn't seeing it but he was still blowing. I think nearly every one of the scrum penalties against Ulster should have been a reset scrum. He did the same at the breakdown; essentially, he took the competition out of it.

Unlike some, I don't necessarily think Clancy is a biased referee - although I've written my general concerns about referees' decisions under pressure elsewhere on this forum and this equally applied to Clancy - I just think that he's an appalling referee. Ireland has prided itself on providing some of the best union referees in recent times; Clancy is an embarrassment to that tradition. Poor, poor referee with some fundamental problems in the way he referees every game. Too often, Clancy dominates rugby games. That is a very, very poor sign for a referee.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Neil F wrote:In these cases, something illegal may well have happened; in fact, in the balance of probability, it did happen but Clancy didn't see it happen and, therefore, he shouldn't blow up.
I think there are some who would like to see him blow up at the earliest opportunity - some might even be happy to supply the explosives.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

:whistle: George Clancy (IRFU. 44th competition game)
Assistant :whistle: Gwyn Morris, Jon Mason (both WRU
:banghead: :(
Summed up my thoughts before the match, still think the same
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Definately not. Rather a formal complaint should be made. He needs a red card suspension.
colwynvet
Novice

Post by colwynvet »

Do refs get assessed in the same way as footie refs in the Premiership?
You don't know! You weren't there!
oneshot7
Novice

Post by oneshot7 »

The current members of the elite panel[1] are referees highly regarded by the IRB and their referee selectors. Four of the referees come from South Africa, four from Ireland, three from England, two from Australia, two from France, and New Zealand and Wales having one respectively.[2]
The major surprise is Scotland being an original founding union and it does not have a referee on the panel. However on the development panel it does have Peter Allan.[2]
The current panel are in alphabetical order, not ranking wise.[2]
Wayne Barnes (England)
Christophe Berdos (France)
Keith Brown (New Zealand)
George Clancy (Ireland)
Stuart Dickinson (Australia)
Peter Fitzgibbon (Ireland)
Jerome Garces (France)
Craig Joubert (South Africa)
Marius Jonker (South Africa)
Jonathan Kaplan (South Africa)
Mark Lawrence (South Africa)
Bryce Lawrence (New Zealand)
Nigel Owens (Wales)
Dave Pearson (England)
Romain Poite (France)
Chris Pollock (New Zealand)
Alain Rolland (Ireland)
Andrew Small (England)
Steve Walsh (Australia)

I have highlighted the amusing parts..

Last nights performance was dire, I played a game on Wednesday with a deaf & dumb referee (not even joking, the scrum engagement process was 3 mumblings and a noise & he gave marks if you caught the ball in the 22 automatically) i thought he was the worst ref i had ever seen, at least he had an excuse; last night Clancy was a disgrace to the point people who know little about rugby were asking my what we had done to him in the past as he clearly wasn't a big Ulster fan.
How can we be on a list that claims him to be "elite" in any way.
This doesn't mask the fact we were poor, but my god he didn't help the cause. :duh:
Bopeep
Novice

Post by Bopeep »

The International Referee Committe is based in Dublin and one of the top dogs thinks Clancey is great and champions him. Ireland have a grip on the international referees and this needs to be changed.

Clancey will never be slagged he is an untouchable from an Irish perspective.
Ulster throw in
Initiate

Post by Ulster throw in »

TBH I would invite Clancy up to UR as a guest, wine and dine him (keeping him away from Logi the moron and his version of the 'Ulster Way') let him ref a few training sessions and let him think we need to embrace his 'refreshing and unique' understanding of the game. Next game we have him he will think we respect him and rate him and we can get on and play like we always do! Bit of cute hur Diplomacy. Job done. :cheers:
"If Eddie O'Sullivan had retreated to the Führerbunker, World War 2 would still be going on." Mr. G. Hook
rosetintedgoggles
Novice

Post by rosetintedgoggles »

IRB need to re-visit their selection procedures.

That performance last night was truly dreadful. Watched it again on the box this morning. Made IHumph's second half performance look acceptable by comparison.

He should be defrocked and banished to the Turnip tundra with immediate effect. :red: :red:
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Are the referees announced for the Heiny QF's??
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Honestly if there's no punishment or a "we're monitoring your peformances a lot closer now" talk with Clancy about that performance it will be an outrage.

Can UR make an official complaint about it?
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Bopeep
Novice

Post by Bopeep »

ruckover wrote:Honestly if there's no punishment or a "we're monitoring your peformances a lot closer now" talk with Clancy about that performance it will be an outrage.

Can UR make an official complaint about it?
Yes they can but will be laughed at believe me Clancy is an untouchable and I have heard this from some senior refs in Ulster
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

oneshot7 wrote:The current members of the elite panel[1] are referees highly regarded by the IRB and their referee selectors. Four of the referees come from South Africa, four from Ireland, three from England, two from Australia, two from France, and New Zealand and Wales having one respectively.[2]
The current panel are in alphabetical order, not ranking wise.[2]
Wayne Barnes (England)
Christophe Berdos (France)
Keith Brown (New Zealand)
George Clancy (Ireland)
Stuart Dickinson (Australia)
Peter Fitzgibbon (Ireland)
Jerome Garces (France)
Craig Joubert (South Africa)
Marius Jonker (South Africa)
Jonathan Kaplan (South Africa)
Mark Lawrence (South Africa)
Bryce Lawrence (New Zealand)
Nigel Owens (Wales)
Dave Pearson (England)
Romain Poite (France)
Chris Pollock (New Zealand)
Alain Rolland (Ireland)
Andrew Small (England)
Steve Walsh (Australia)
Am I missing something, here? Who's the fourth?

Also, there are 17 referees, totting up by country and 19 in this list; four from South Africa, three each from England, France, Ireland and New Zealand, two from Australia and one from Wales...
Husky
Novice

Post by Husky »

I don't want to come across childish or petty but Clancy has always irritated me when watching him officiate. Not only does he make lob-sided, questionable calls, but he runs round with this arrogant swagger like a know it all. He has a face I'd love to smack. And I'm a pacifist.
“I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it.”