How far could Ulstermen push a BANNER

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

How far could Ulstermen push a BANNER

Post by Cockatrice »

In Ireland we are supposed to be able to laugh at ourselves and despite all the grim times we have always had a wicked sense of humour..... but how far could we push it with a Banner at Twickenham ?

btw.... just a bit of fun but blame it on baggy with his compasrison to The Alamo which I like except the Mexicans won !! and makes a change from flegs and emblems.

Remember the ALAMO
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: How far could Ulstermen push a BANNER

Post by BR »

The Mexicans won the battle - not the war.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Yes indeed but will Twickenham be a battle or a war .... to me a battle otherwise a large Remember the Alamo might look good. Maybe we should all fly Texan flags as defiance.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cockatrice wrote:Yes indeed but will Twickenham be a battle or a war .... to me a battle otherwise a large Remember the Alamo might look good. Maybe we should all fly Texan flags as defiance.
http://www.flagandbuntingstore.co.uk/ac ... _Flag.html
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
TriGav
Novice

Post by TriGav »

I have a buddy who is flying back from Texas for the game and is bringing his Texas flag, so you will see one at the final. He is totally unaware of the connotations regarding Leinster and Mexicans though!
Please do not distrurb Mr Pienaar - he is operating in his bubble of calm
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

So was the Pro12 defeat by Leinster the Alamo, so Twickenham is the Battle of San Jacinto where the Texans defeated the Mexicans and the "Remember the Alamo" cry was used*

* Thanks Wikipedia!
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

merv..... The Texan flag may be too red white and blue for some of our more delicate rugby brethern.

Gav... maybe many more should join your friend in bringing the Texan flag.

mike ...... Yes the REMEMBER THE ALAMO was the battle cry that seen the Mexicans driven from Texas so maybe it should be ours as well.

what about a banner with WHAT DO U CALL A MEXICAN IN A BMW..... Grand Auto Theft
Mummer
Novice

Post by Mummer »

Cockatrice wrote:merv..... The Texan flag may be too red white and blue for some of our more delicate rugby brethern.

Gav... maybe many more should join your friend in bringing the Texan flag.

mike ...... Yes the REMEMBER THE ALAMO was the battle cry that seen the Mexicans driven from Texas so maybe it should be ours as well.

what about a banner with WHAT DO U CALL A MEXICAN IN A BMW..... Grand Auto Theft
Erm, well to be historically correct we would need to use the flag actually flown at the Battle of the Alamo... :D
Attachments
alamo-battle-flag_small.jpg
alamo-battle-flag_small.jpg (24.61 KiB) Viewed 1174 times
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

mummer ............. Historians may not agree what flag was flown at the Alamo as declarations were not made until many years later and no flag is known to have survived the battle. It may even have been the Lone Star and stripes flag not disimilar to the current one.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Factoid: Davy Crockett's ancestors were also besieged in Derry.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

A friend of mine , who lives in the US visited the Alamo and strongly objected to the Irish tricolour flying there; he offered an Ulster flag or the old green with a silver harp(1798). Don't think he got anywhere though!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
figrolls
Novice

Post by figrolls »

First post! but thought I had to join in on this one. This isnt really an idea for a banner you could hold up at the game but rather something to post on the interweb. With all the 2012, Mayan calander, end of the world stuff, I thought it would be fun to put the Ulster Rugby emblem on the Mayan tablet...for it is written..... Anyone handy on the ol' photoshop can have that one on me. :salut: :red:
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

not very far !!
Muddy Bless
Initiate

Post by Muddy Bless »

Seems like we can push two big ulster shirts all the way home so I imagine we could get a quer distance with a measly wee banner.