Should I attend an Ulster game?

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

Monaghanulster
Novice

Should I attend an Ulster game?

Post by Monaghanulster »

I'm from County Monaghan and I'd like to follow Ulster and go to see their games but with the flags their supporters have I think I'd feel like I wouldn't be welcome. Am I silly to think that Ulster is for Unionist followers only? As with most from the Republic of Ireland I have no interest in taking sides in all the Unionist vs Nationalist rubbish in Northern Ireland. I'd just like to watch and enjoy rugby with people that are out there to do the same.
Looking at videos I notice lots of NI flags in the crowd which (to me) shows that some have intentions of being agitators. I hate soccer for this reason and would never attend a game because I don't like to mix with that kind of person (Be it nationalist or unionist).
I enjoy attending the Irish games and feel safe and welcome there but I think that we shouldn't have tri-colours as OUR team is mixed with players from both northern Ireland and the republic. I like the idea of having a mixed anthem and a flag that represents all four provinces. At the moment Monagahan, Cavan and Donegal are being represented twice by using both the tri colour and Ulster flag.
Now I realise that a lot of us down here unintentionally bring the tri colour to the games as we forget that it's not a national team but rather an all island team.
What I'm wondering is: are those with the northern Ireland flags at Ulster games unintentionally forgetting that Ulster has 9 counties with some being in the republic of Ireland or is it the usual problem of using flags to aggravate I see when I travel north?
It's not that I find the tri colours or union jacks/ni flags offensive myself but rather the fact that I don't want to mix with the type of hate filled/insecure people that use them instead of a neutral alternative.
I would really love to go shout for the guys :cheers: but I think I wouldn't feel comfortable. :roll:
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Re: Should I attend an Ulster game?

Post by ColinM »

For the week that its in, registering as a WUM is particularly inappropriate. Hopefully the mods will take this down
rugoval
Novice

Post by rugoval »

I am a season ticket holder and one thing I can say is that I personally have never experienced or witnessed any sectarianism at any game I have been at. I believe I am correct that I have seen in the last season or two more and more GAA players taking an interest in the Ulster team. You are correct it is a 9 counties team which is why at the last home game the half time mini-rugby was represented by a team from Donegal. On the subject of flags you will see red and white and red and yellow, South African etc. Ravenhill is not an intimidating place except for the opposition.
Monaghanulster
Novice

Post by Monaghanulster »

ColinM wrote:For the week that its in, registering as a WUM is particularly inappropriate. Hopefully the mods will take this down
What is your problem? How am I a WUM? If you have nothing to add don't post a comment. Hopefully the mods will remove your comment for being inappropriately useless to me or others with the same questions.
Monaghanulster
Novice

Post by Monaghanulster »

rugoval wrote:I am a season ticket holder and one thing I can say is that I personally have never experienced or witnessed any sectarianism at any game I have been at. I believe I am correct that I have seen in the last season or two more and more GAA players taking an interest in the Ulster team. You are correct it is a 9 counties team which is why at the last home game the half time mini-rugby was represented by a team from Donegal. On the subject of flags you will see red and white and red and yellow, South African etc. Ravenhill is not an intimidating place except for the opposition.
Thank you Rugoval. That is reassuring. I believe there are many more like me that need to know this.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

I have no intention of starting or perpetuating a "flags and anthems debate"

Suffice to say that if you are genuine in your wish to "watch and enjoy rugby with people that are out there to do the same", by all means come along to Ravenhill and support Ulster, because that is excatly what the rest of us are doing.

Politics and religion play no part in what goes on in Ravenhill, and the crowd is a broad section of the Ulster community. Your observations of flag waving and the perceived attitudes of those who do so are wide of the mark, but don't take my word for it, if you're genuine, come along and find out for yourself.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Monaghanulster
Novice

Post by Monaghanulster »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:I have no intention of starting or perpetuating a "flags and anthems debate"

Suffice to say that if you are genuine in your wish to "watch and enjoy rugby with people that are out there to do the same", by all means come along to Ravenhill and support Ulster, because that is excatly what the rest of us are doing.

Politics and religion play no part in what goes on in Ravenhill, and the crowd is a broad section of the Ulster community. Your observations of flag waving and the perceived attitudes of those who do so are wide of the mark, but don't take my word for it, if you're genuine, come along and find out for yourself.
Thank you Cap'n. I will have to go for sure. It's something I've been thinking about for the last few years but I always had a nagging in my mind that it would be a small selection of the Ulster community that goes to their games. I really do hope that the flag waving and the attitudes I perceive are as you say wide off the mark. I had even thought of changing to support Leinster because I thought I'd be more welcome there. (I would have felt like a bit of a traitor to Ulster though). Think I'll go up with some friends very soon to test the waters :) Thanks again for your reply. :thumleft:
DavyG
Steward

Post by DavyG »

rugoval wrote: On the subject of flags you will see red and white and red and yellow, South African etc. Ravenhill is not an intimidating place except for the opposition.
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:I have no intention of starting or perpetuating a "flags and anthems debate
As you can see from these photographs, there are numerous variants flown at games home and away.

Come along to a game and experience the Ravenhill atmosphere.
flags1a.jpg
flags1a.jpg (207.51 KiB) Viewed 5613 times
flags3a.jpg
flags3a.jpg (168.57 KiB) Viewed 5613 times
:salut: :red:
Last edited by DavyG on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monaghanulster
Novice

Post by Monaghanulster »

I'm definitely going. Now where could a lad find a red wig? :P
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Monagahanulster » why not PM me a contact number etc and i will gladly invite you up even pay for you ticket, consider me your personal guide for the night to show you Ravers at its best,
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Monaghanulster
Novice

Post by Monaghanulster »

pm'd
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Not sure which videos you've been watching but yellow Ulster flegs predominated at the recent Munster game. Union flegs and Tricolours are normally conspicuous by their absence at Ravers. There are other flegs but I'd say that 99% are carried with zero intent to cause offence.

Best way to satisfy yourself is to go along. I have yet to meet anyone who has been genuinely offended by anything they have seen or heard at Ravenhill. If Ulster was "for Unionist followers only" I wouldn't set foot in the place.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Once again, Mervyn, you have it spot on. Monaghan, once you sample the experience and atmosphere at Ravers, the only bad emotion you will have is one of regret that you didn't come along much sooner. It's outstanding.
Bo***cks to Brexit
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Monagahanulster wrote:I'm from County Monaghan and I'd like to follow Ulster and go to see their games but with the flags their supporters have I think I'd feel like I wouldn't be welcome. Am I silly to think that Ulster is for Unionist followers only? As with most from the Republic of Ireland I have no interest in taking sides in all the Unionist vs Nationalist rubbish in Northern Ireland. I'd just like to watch and enjoy rugby with people that are out there to do the same.
Looking at videos I notice lots of NI flags in the crowd which (to me) shows that some have intentions of being agitators. I hate soccer for this reason and would never attend a game because I don't like to mix with that kind of person (Be it nationalist or unionist).
I enjoy attending the Irish games and feel safe and welcome there but I think that we shouldn't have tri-colours as OUR team is mixed with players from both northern Ireland and the republic. I like the idea of having a mixed anthem and a flag that represents all four provinces. At the moment Monagahan, Cavan and Donegal are being represented twice by using both the tri colour and Ulster flag.
Now I realise that a lot of us down here unintentionally bring the tri colour to the games as we forget that it's not a national team but rather an all island team.
What I'm wondering is: are those with the northern Ireland flags at Ulster games unintentionally forgetting that Ulster has 9 counties with some being in the republic of Ireland or is it the usual problem of using flags to aggravate I see when I travel north?
It's not that I find the tri colours or union jacks/ni flags offensive myself but rather the fact that I don't want to mix with the type of hate filled/insecure people that use them instead of a neutral alternative.
I would really love to go shout for the guys :cheers: but I think I wouldn't feel comfortable. :roll:
Please, please, please come to Ravenhill! I can understand your thoughts about the 'NI' flag but the reality is that the supporters are waving it as an ulster flag. Many fans favour the true Ulster flag in yellow. Ulster fans are fans of Ulster and consider it to be the 9 counties, not 6. The Ulster branch has been doing a lot of work over recent years to try and get more fans from Monaghan, Donegal and Cavan to come to games.

The atmosphere at Ravenhill is renowned for being intimidating for opposition players but that's where it ends and Ulster fans in general do their best to ensure that opposition supporters have a great time before, during and after games ( friendly banter aside! ).

I have no doubt that if you can get to a game you will enjoy the atmosphere and not feel intimidated one bit. If you want a really special debut game then I would suggest coming to an inter pro or a HEC game if you can.

Please come and enjoy the craic, you won't be disappointed. And while you're at it, bring a few friends!! :salut: :red: :salut:
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote:. I have yet to meet anyone who has been genuinely offended by anything they have seen or heard at Ravenhill.
I found the Treviso game last season pretty offensive to the eyes!

MU - I was about to suggest you get in touch, but I see Kofi has got in there first.

If you can accept that the people who fly NI flags at Ravenhill do so in much the same way as most fly tricolours at Lansdowne (they largely represent the team and are largely the right colour). Despite the flags (mis)use by others in other places, it is seen as the de facto fleg of NI and when used in this way, is not intended to cause offence to anyone. Back in 1998/99 for example the NI flag was about the only widley available flag (along with the red/white chequered flag) and was seen a lot more than today, when as you can see from the snaps there are a multitude of flegs on display including Ulster Rugby and Ulster provincial flags.

Yes the majority of people ar Ravenhill are probably Northern Ireland residents of a unionist (small u) and protestant tradition. But I can assure you you will not be the only RoI citizen, nor would you be the only person from a catholic or nationalist background (if indeed that is your background).

In the past, when this subject has been mentioned, I have pointed to this picture taken at the HEC QF 2010 (albeit not at Ravenhill)

Those of a perceived Roman Catholic background outnumber the Prods and Sikhs put together (some even get away with wearing their celtic shirts ;) )
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk