Positives and negatives: Ulster V Cardiff

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Positives and negatives: Ulster V Cardiff

Post by againstthehead »

Positives
- a tremendously well-respected minutes silence from the cardiff fans. Superb, albeit as you would expect from the welsh.
- try time!! You rarely witness such execution from an Ulster side but we created a lot of chances and we put a lot of them away. Some beautiful hands.
- Backrow. Beautifully balanced. Williams the mentalist who stomps over everyone, henderson the big lump who hits the rucks like an articulated lorry and henry on the floor. Powerful men indeed with excellent discipline.
- scrum and lineout delicious. With a better ref we'd have pinged them off the park
- forwards play. We did it all: pick and goes, lineout drivers, off-loads: that was total rugby.
- backs: apart from Cave's drop from the 1st kick off they were all superb. Marshall kicked well, Jackson tackled like a demon, the 3 centres all were excellent with PW looking superb. Bowe is a natural finisher and trimble was hard as nails. Gilroy was electric when he came on and Payne is a touch of class. The backs have been very quiet this season but Bowe and PW added a touch of genuine class.
- the biggest positive is to get a result like that WITHOUT the likes of Muller, Ruan, Ferris and Best. For me, those were are only world class players last season (plus afoa...) and to win without those guys is incredible. Anscombe is playing a blinder thus far.

Negatives
- Whilst williams was at times phenomenal he also made a lot of basics errors - particularly at the rear of the scrum.
- Jacko kicked grand overall but is not quite a top class goal kicker. Hopefully Pienaar can fill that role. Jackson was superb overall and I'm clutching at straws really lol
- maybe just a tad loose for me. I'd have liked to have seen a little more phase play from the hard-nosed forwards but the result negates this point I guess....

Overall, a staggering result but perhaps more importantly I think that was a game the guys really wanted to win for someone perhaps looking down from above. Well done Ulster.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Flads
Novice

Re: Positives and negatives: Ulster V Cardiff

Post by Flads »

Positive= I can't think of any negatives!!
Stand Up For The Ulstermen!!!!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

againstthehead wrote: Whilst williams was at times phenomenal he also made a lot of basics errors - particularly at the rear of the scrum.
That is true.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Snipe Watson wrote:
againstthehead wrote: Whilst williams was at times phenomenal he also made a lot of basics errors - particularly at the rear of the scrum.
That is true.
My criticism of williams is more out of frustration Snipers. He is a beast - a total animal that is more or less unstopable at times. His mad stuff rarely comes off, but when he just protects the ball and goes direct he is tremendously effective. When the ref plays Ulster an advantage, that is when Williams can go nuts with one-handed off-loads over his head but he just needs to chill a little. If Anscombe can calm the big man and sort out the back of the scrum, Wilson may try to get back on the Norhampton side for December....
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Agree - big positive is that we won it without Muller. (the others we were planning on being without, but Johann was expeceted to play this week)

Good to see the return of the water boy - we have a "finisher"
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Agree - big positive is that we won it without Muller. (the others we were planning on being without, but Johann was expeceted to play this week)

Good to see the return of the water boy - we have a "finisher"
I'd say we have several. Jared and Craig can finish too.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

the quick ball made the tries. Pretty boy finished well though lol.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Negatives

First ten minutes

Neutrals

Jackson's goal kicking
Williams' ball protection

Positives

Everything else
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by Nightsoil » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:31 pm

Neutrals
Jackson's goal kicking

Grow up. :banghead:

If PJ wasnt the next great white hope he would be slated after a kicking performance like that.

It was awful.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Just read that the players had Nevin's initials below the badge and will have this for the remainder of the season.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

fuzzylogic wrote:
by Nightsoil » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:31 pm

Neutrals
Jackson's goal kicking

Grow up. :banghead:

If PJ wasnt the next great white hope he would be slated after a kicking performance like that.

It was awful.
:lol: Can't think why you're so angry over that.

Jackson missed, what, 3? 4? That one from just over 50m just faded by the post, it had the legs. I liked that. The one he shanked miles off when charged down was appalling, but he had the composure to put it aside, put aside the next miss, then put over a not exactly easy one off from the side.

You're right, my rating of him does take into account what he is - but that's not the great white hope, it's a young man making his way and learning his trade. I'll happily balance out the two poor ones against the signs of promise - hence a neutral. But, hey, if you disagree, be my guest. No skin off of my nose!
ardsrugbyards
Initiate

Post by ardsrugbyards »

where is Xavier Rush?

Edited

No need for that Ards.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

ardsrugbyards wrote:where is Xavier Rush? Edited
Pathetic post.... he retired through injury.
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

cracking player Rush was in his day. Was poor the season he was meant to be at Ulster but prior to that he was awsome. One of my favourite Magners backrowers until he turned his back on us...
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

PJ missed 3, one massive one at the end which was meaningless and two after he had taken a massive hit in the lead up to Bowe's try. He had a fantastic game and anyone questioning that is showing that don't have a clue.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 2
Gonna Party Like It's 1999