Castres 18/19/20 January 2013

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

JosieJoe
Novice

Castres 18/19/20 January 2013

Post by JosieJoe »

I know it's a bit early - particularly since the exact timing of the fixture hasn't been confirmed yet - but is anyone here planning on going to France for the Castres fixture in January? I thought I might head over, but wouldn't mind meeting up with a few others, if that's possible.

I see Killester Travel (sp?) are doing an overnight trip, but I'd rather make a weekend of it - and reckon there has to be a cheaper way of doing it than jumping a charter from Belfast (albeit probably not as direct!).

Anyway, I just thought I'd see what y'all were thinking......

(and yes, I do know it's 4am - but when I can't sleep I automatically seem to start thinking about flights and weekend breaks and hotels and trains ...which then makes me even less likely to fall asleep ... :bounce: and now I'm rambling, and thinking about what to pack ... and the fact that I have to get up in three hours :sleeping: ok, I'll stop now)
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Castres 18/19/20 January 2013

Post by BR »

I don't think it is likely to be happen in our case, but be warned CO moved their week 2 game against Northampton to Ernest Wallon in Toulouse. This was only confirmed in the last 2 weeks and has fecked some travel plans.

Castres is a nice enough town, but I'm not sure I'd want to stay there for the long weekend. I'd consider a night or two in Toulouse (or if you're traveling through Carcassonne, then maybe stop there for a night or two).
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
DavyG
Steward

Post by DavyG »

We are using the charter but I am aware of at least two other groups looking at flying Belfast - London - Toulouse and setting up base there. I am not sure of the exact costs but I believe the flight is £200ish and hotel is around £55pn.

Hope that helps.

:salut: :red:
"We are on a Journey.......Don't Stop Believin"....
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

Another option that I've been looking at is from Dublin to Toulouse with Lufthansa with a change in Frankfurt. There appear to be 2 flights a day and currently the return fare is at £146/147. This is a scheduled flight so includes a hold bag which is good for a long weekend. I too was looking at staying in Toulouse with possibly one night in Castres when we find the time of the match. I am though not getting much choice of reasonable hotels in Castres - any suggestions.
DavyG
Steward

Post by DavyG »

This is worth checking out.... http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10845.php
Ulster Sports Travel, Official Travel Partner to Ulster Rugby, is giving away an overnight trip for two to the Castres v Ulster match on the weekend of 18-20 January. All you have to do is answer one simple question and a winner will be picked at random...
Prize: Trip for 2 to France to watch Castres Olympique v Ulster Rugby in the Heineken Cup. Trip is ex Belfast incl flights (Team Charter), match tickets, 1 night hotel stay (B&B)and transfers.
"We are on a Journey.......Don't Stop Believin"....
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

DavyG wrote:This is worth checking out.... http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10845.php
Ulster Sports Travel, Official Travel Partner to Ulster Rugby, is giving away an overnight trip for two to the Castres v Ulster match on the weekend of 18-20 January. All you have to do is answer one simple question and a winner will be picked at random...
Prize: Trip for 2 to France to watch Castres Olympique v Ulster Rugby in the Heineken Cup. Trip is ex Belfast incl flights (Team Charter), match tickets, 1 night hotel stay (B&B)and transfers.
Hope they fly Aer Lingus, booked thurs to monday, was in Castre during the Summer got a clinker of a hotel >Europe Hôtel nice little joint with charm, Baggy ya wanna join moi
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
JosieJoe
Novice

Post by JosieJoe »

Thanks for the replies/advice guys. Never been to Castres before but know Toulouse reasonably well so might base myself there and get the train over to Castres for the match (depending on KO time). I'll probably take the Belfast - Gatwick - Toulouse route. Pity the direct flight from Dublin with Aer Lingus stops in the winter - I paid £90 or so return to Toulouse in June - bargain!

Won't be booking anything just yet, but hopefully I can meet up with a few other supporters along the way- from what I recall there are a few good rugby bars in the area ... :drunken:
Surrey Red Hand
Warrior Assassin

Post by Surrey Red Hand »

Yes they moved the Northampton game to Toulouse only recently, though I see Glasgow are down to play IN Castres whilst OUR venue with them is still TBC ... wouldn't surprise me if it were moved also ... makes hotel bookings somewhat iffy :(
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Well if anyone is planning to stay in Toulouse, I can recommend an Irish bar where Ulster fans may get a very warm welcome.

Can't vouch for the quality of Guinness being served there though.... :stir:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Bart S wrote:Well if anyone is planning to stay in Toulouse, I can recommend an Irish bar where Ulster fans may get a very warm welcome.

Can't vouch for the quality of Guinness being served there though.... :stir:
The Melting Pot is a good pub we used on the last visit to Toulouse and it serves Guinness, there was another place but after BR's visit to the bogs it may still have the hazardous waste signs up.
http://www.toulouseweb.com/meltingpot/
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

Anyone know when date and venue are likely to be confirmed?
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

That's a bit late isn't it. Not exactly travelling support friendly!! Flights are good enough value at the moment Dublin to carcassonne but it means taking a chance or else staying for longer than we would want (can only ship the kids out for so long you know).
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Hope it's in Castre to be honest, I quite like the town.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Bring Humph On!! wrote:That's a bit late isn't it. Not exactly travelling support friendly!! Flights are good enough value at the moment Dublin to carcassonne but it means taking a chance or else staying for longer than we would want (can only ship the kids out for so long you know).
Stay longer, and take the kids :cheers:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Bring Humph On!! wrote:That's a bit late isn't it. Not exactly travelling support friendly!! Flights are good enough value at the moment Dublin to carcassonne but it means taking a chance or else staying for longer than we would want (can only ship the kids out for so long you know).
That's normal though, dates and times usually announced on the Tuesday after round 4, otherwise you book either the charter or go with the knowledge that match could be any time between 7pm on Friday and 8pm on Sunday so it's either wait, Friday morning to Monday or take a gamble on Sky.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best