Jamie Heaslip

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

archie
Novice

Jamie Heaslip

Post by archie »

Is it just me or this bloke very overrated?

They showed his stats before the game yesterday and one of the comments from the experts was that they were decent enough stats if he was a 2nd row. They compared them to Faletau's and it was almost embarrassing how much better Faletau's were.

If Ferris gets back fit I really would not have Jamie in the side as would move o'brien to 8.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Jamie Heaslip

Post by Rooster »

Always thought he was overrated
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I would say he's an enigma, but he seems to suffer from the same disease as D'Arcy.

He was decent and showed a lot of potential back in 2009, never kicked on though. Sums up Ireland's selection policy to see that he's captain, completely undroppable now...
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Jackie Brown wrote:I would say he's an enigma, but he seems to suffer from the same disease as D'Arcy.

He was decent and showed a lot of potential back in 2009, never kicked on though. Sums up Ireland's selection policy to see that he's captain, completely undroppable now...
Bigger contract than Sexton as well Jackie, he could be there till he is 40 too get value out of him :banghead:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Beginning to think our best back row would be Henry, O'Mahoney and O'Brien at number 8. Faletau owned Heaslip on Saturday.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Captaincy getting in the way? I don't know but the last few games he's been very anonymous, yet for Leinster he has played very well IMO. Problem is he won't be dropped because he's captain (albeit a poor one).
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Heaslip is a blister - turns up after the hard work is done.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Positive thing about Heaslip, he isn't often seen on the wing, like many Irish forwards are
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Russ wrote:Positive thing about Heaslip, he isn't often seen on the wing, like many Irish forwards are

Yeah, he's just unseen. Doing unseen work.

Feck him, if a number 8 is doing work I want to see it.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Great point from Colin.
Different 7s and 6s can be excused being seen in games as they are doing the donkey work on the floor, a la Richard Hill.
Your 8 on the other hand should be very much to the fore in the visual sense and need to be a go forward, physical ball carrying prescence constantly in the face of the opposition.
Think of the greats like Brooke,Shelford or Dallagio and the top modern day 8s like Nick Williams, Picamoles, Parrisse or Read.
Nothing anonymous or unseen about them.
TheElephantMan
Steward

Post by TheElephantMan »

[quote="Russ"]Positive thing about Heaslip, he isn't often seen on the wing, like many Irish forwards are[/quote Back in the day it was called glory hunting having forwards on the wings. Why! why not.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

TheElephantMan wrote:
Russ wrote:Positive thing about Heaslip, he isn't often seen on the wing, like many Irish forwards are[/quote Back in the day it was called glory hunting having forwards on the wings. Why! why not.
Today it is called DOC
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Agreed, Heaslip did nothing on Saturday, apart from showing up near the wing and taking Rory Best's pass in the build up to Healy's try, and apart from a load of tackles and carries and passes, and apart from.....
Yup. Drop him.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

It's getting like MF around here with the crap written about Heaslip. He didn't have his best game ever on Saturday but he played well and contributed to the victory along with the rest of the backrow.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dublin4 wrote:Agreed, Heaslip did nothing on Saturday, apart from showing up near the wing and taking Rory Best's pass in the build up to Healy's try, and apart from a load of tackles and carries and passes, and apart from.....
Yup. Drop him.
No one said drop him but is he really pulling his weight ? Stats suggest not really
http://www.espnscrum.com/six-nations-20 ... 33782.html
Rory Best