Heineken Cup Replaced

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Heineken Cup Replaced

Post by pip14 »

News just through on Twitter that English and French clubs will play in a new competition from next year that will replace the Heineken Cup

Other teams will be invited to join the tournament

That's all the info so far......
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Re: Heineken Cup Replaced

Post by ruckover »

I'll be honest I did not expect that.

By "open to other teams" I presume that means any other teams are open to apply to join the competition? Or do we have to be officially invited?
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Just on twatter?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Warren Gatlands, may the hairs on their arses turn to drumsticks & bate the shyte out of them.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

http://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/28786.php
The current European Rugby Cup (ERC) competitions terminate at the end of this season after notice was served by the English and French clubs in June 2012.
Despite numerous meetings between the stakeholders over the last year, the last of which was in May, discussions have been unsuccessful and the clubs can only conclude that negotiations on any new European agreement have now ended.
The English and French clubs have proposed the formation of two new, stronger competitions of 20 teams each, based on the principles of qualification on merit from each league, the inclusion of teams from all six existing countries and the expansion into new markets. These proposals could form the basis of future competitions.
However, given the importance and urgency of the current position, and the reconfirmation that the French clubs will not participate in any competition unless it includes the English clubs, the clubs have now asked Premiership Rugby to take immediate action to put in place a competition for 2014/15 to include the French and English clubs but which will also be open to teams from other countries.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Any competition would surely ned to be sanctioned by the IRB..... there may be trouble ahead.

Looks to me as if PRL are getting ahead on themselves yet again.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

This could simply be a ploy by the English to get their way with the ERC. Scare them with the prospect of a new competition not involving them, and they will fold.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

The line that worries me is that the French will not play in a competition without the English participating...
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

PREMIERSHIP RUGBY HAVE today called the ongoing negotiations with the ERC, who run the Heineken and Amlin Challenge Cup, over.

The future of the Heineken Cup is now in jeopardy as they will move ahead with plans to form a breakaway tournament with clubs in France.

Top 14 and Premiership representatives have long been unhappy with the manner in which Pro12/Celtic League sides have not been sibject to a qualification process for European tournaments
Today. Premiership Rugby released the below, strongly worded, statement saying they now presumed negotiations over and would press ahead with plans for a 20-team tournament which is also open to sides from outside France and England.
The current European Rugby Cup (ERC) competitions terminate at the end of this season after notice was served by the English and French clubs in June 2012.

Despite numerous meetings between the stakeholders over the last year, the last of which was in May, discussions have been unsuccessful and the clubs can only conclude that negotiations on any new European agreement have now ended.
The English and French clubs have proposed the formation of two new, stronger competitions of 20 teams each, based on the principles of qualification on merit from each league, the inclusion of teams from all six existing countries and the expansion into new markets. These proposals could form the basis of future competitions.
However, given the importance and urgency of the current position, and the reconfirmation that the French clubs will not participate in any competition unless it includes the English clubs, the clubs have now asked Premiership Rugby to take immediate action to put in place a competition for 2014/15 to include the French and English clubs but which will also be open to teams from other countries.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Nigel Wray, the hated Saracens Muthafacka: "All we are saying is we are not going to play under those rules, which we are entitled to do. It has to change otherwise the English and French clubs will be permanently outvoted. We want a much fairer share of the cake".

He sees no irony in the fact that 2 can be outvoted by 4 just isn't fair.

Whilst I can find nothing material to the headline, sadly it appears that money will destroy the best competition in the NH bar none.

Of course it may well be yet another piece of brinkmanship but the lowlife have previous. :(
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Would we want to join this proposed competition if it goes ahead?
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Just cause they can't take the Irish dominance :red:

You would have to hope that the IRFU have planned for this happening and have something up their sleeves!
A statement of response would be good ...
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Would we be able to say no ruckover? Missing out on sponsorship, tv money, ticket sales, prize money etc.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

The more worrying thing to me is the total silence coming out of Dublin and ERC headquarters while, at the same time, we are getting one provocative statement after another from the English. The French have been pretty quiet as well and, AFAIK, have never said publicly that they will not play in any competition without the English. Indeed there have been mutterings that they are not happy that the English have negotiated a TV deal without consultation.
I think this is another coat-trailing exercise by the english, designed to scare the ERC and the Celtic nations as has been said by Ruckover. BUT we need to be hearing something from ERC in the very near future.
AS for the English, they are doing their very best to turn rugby into a clone of soccer, where there will be hatred between supporters rather than an ability to have a good time and a laugh about matches. They really are a nasty bunch, I'm sorry to say.
Bo***cks to Brexit
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

So the only sources are twitter, PRL and PRL affiliated clubs so far.

I won't hold my breath