The house band and the atmosphere????

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

The house band and the atmosphere????

Post by Cornerfleg »

Have to say now - after giving it some time to settle. Getting a bit fed up with the silly lets have a knees up come all ye brass band songs starting up when the game is tense or on a knife edge.

Sure we won with a 5 pointer last night, but at times we let them back into it and it was a one score game at various times .... meanwhile it's break out the party hats and sing along to knees up mover brawwwn ...

It's a feckin rugby match not a Christmas party - too much jolly lets have a laugh tee hee-ing for me ... I love my Friday nights for scran, a pint, highs and lows on the pitch a good gulder a SUFTUM and ref abuse what I dont want is paper hats, party poppers and a bad Juke Box ....

Give us back our rugby atmosphere please!

Thoughts??????
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: The house band and the atmosphere????

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

100%. Band is awful- leave them for the Xmas matches only. And disable the feckin big screens, apart from try or incident replays. The amount of eejits turning round to watch when the play is at the other end of the pitch. Why go to a match if you just want to watch it on TV? Its also killing the atmosphere, which was flat for 95% of the game.

Seats also mean no atmosphere builds before a game, as your not having to get there early to secure a place. Even my beloved terrace was funereal last night, and there was 13,000 apparently.
Exterminate all rational thought
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Agreed.

Initially I didn't like them at all, thought it just wasn't Ravenhill, but at the Leicester match I began to warm to them. Last night I went back to my original thinking. It isn't the fact that they're not good, it's the fact that they played in the wrong moments i.e. just as play resumed. They're a nice filler to keep the atmosphere up during breaks in play, but not while play is going on.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
theCloudSpotter
Initiate

Post by theCloudSpotter »

Apologies...

I'm one of those eejits who look at the screen. Unfortunately I find it very difficult to see what is going on at the 'other' end during a match. I prefer to be at the match though.

Getting back to a side on view from the stand next year can't come soon enough.
davejohnston
Initiate

Post by davejohnston »

I like the band, think its a good idea, but they need to be told when to play. They played a few times last night when they shouldn't. Meanwhile during long stoppages and almost silence from the crowd, they also remained silent. Get that right and they could greatly help add to the atmosphere, particularly at the two ends where it seems to be quieter.

As for the. TV screens also an asset. I'm at the memorial end, so was hard to see much for the first half. I don't stare at them constantly but I will look over when the ball gets slowed down, to see what's going on it's not the same as watching Tver home, because I still get to soak up the atmosphere of Ravenhill, and don't have to put up with the awful
Commentary.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

theCloudSpotter wrote:Apologies...

I'm one of those eejits who look at the screen. Unfortunately I find it very difficult to see what is going on at the 'other' end during a match. I prefer to be at the match though.

Getting back to a side on view from the stand next year can't come soon enough.
:thumleft:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
UpAtSix
Initiate

Post by UpAtSix »

I don't mind the band too much, but they should limit their playing to extended breaks in play. The Montpellier band were good at that; they only played when they were waiting for TMO decisions etc. They even figured out how to play SUFTUM at one stage!
promenader
Novice

Post by promenader »

Love the big screens. Like the band too, but as been said already, they should strike up only when the game has stopped. Getting a bit fed up with the queues for the bar. What happened to all the people with the trays?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

The band must die................. that's a given, they are a nonsense who add absolutely nothing to the place. Instead of them telling their ma when they go home, I wish their Ma would ground them. It's not that they can't play their small repertoire, its that they very clearly have no rugby nous so they strike up at all sorts of bizarre times. Clueless.

As for the screens there were times again last night when I couldn't see into the corner furthest from me on the terrace side & they are a magnificent asset. SOS - Save our Screens
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

:bball: Good to sense is starting to creep in. The people who run the bar have never catered for a venue such as this, all staff are casual labour most and a tad shît at their job. Should have either kept Laverys or brought back Hamilton Kirk, would love to know what the deal clincher was to take away a successfully run service to provide a crap one,
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Agree with Baggy..... >appl
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:The band must die................. that's a given, they are a nonsense who add absolutely nothing to the place. Instead of them telling their ma when they go home, I wish their Ma would ground them. It's not that they can't play their small repertoire, its that they very clearly have no rugby nous so they strike up at all sorts of bizarre times. Clueless.

As for the screens there were times again last night when I couldn't see into the corner furthest from me on the terrace side & they are a magnificent asset. SOS - Save our Screens
>appl >appl >appl >appl

Also, for those who say they should play during long stoppages, sometimes it is not appropriate if a player is down with what appears to be a serious injury, to be seen to be having a wee sing-song. Concerned silence is the Ulster way in such circumstances, followed by polite applause as the player recovers or is taken from the field.

Last night there was nervous silence during long periods of the match - a band doesn't help that, it is up to us, the fans to build the atmosphere, and leave the silences for appropriate times such as injuries.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Still think there should be drums
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Russ wrote:Still think there should be drums
and maybe flutes,
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Russ wrote:Still think there should be drums
and maybe flutes,
Not enough flegs either.

Corner, time to churn out another one!