Match Preview: Ulster Rugby v Connacht Rugby

Moderator: Moderators

ADM
Initiate

Match Preview: Ulster Rugby v Connacht Rugby

Post by ADM »

[tag=image]http://irishmediawatch.com/wp-content/u ... -White.jpg[/tag][tag=content]We could analyse last week’s ‘incident’ until the rest of the season – it’s over and done with, we’ve got a game to play tomorrow night.

Saturday was unlucky, and I will admit I was close to shedding a tear at the final whistle. Having to be professional in my match report, I will now freely say that I (and I imagine the majority of others) could not be any prouder at the 110% effort that the boys put in all night. You don’t talk about moral victories in the Heineken Cup very often, but I think it’s fair to say that we definitely won the moral victory there. We may not be at the Aviva Stadium on the 26th April, but what that performance will do for our confidence will be massive.

So back to the Pro12 we go then.

Connacht are the visitors to Ravenhill and after such a brutal match last week, they will fancy taking on our weary legs and coming away with the win from Belfast, something they haven’t done certainly in the time I’ve been following Ulster. Still, this season they’ve got a European Cup spot to chase and following a very impressive showing in Llanelli where they were very unlucky to come away without the five points on offer, they will come in lots of confidence.

It’s one of the interprovincials that sort of blows over every season. While the games against Munster and Leinster are well attended and given prime time slots on TV, this game is seen as a foregone conclusion every season – the fact that there are still tickets on sale a day before the game probably reflects this more than anything. That couldn’t be further from the truth, but let the people believe what they want.

Connacht will be a handful tomorrow night. What the Galway side lack maybe in talent, they make up for it with a whole lot of heart – they give sweat, blood and tears for their team and have a set of dedicated fans to boot. Much like us a few seasons ago they are finding their feet in the league and they are desperate to prove to the IRFU (and the rest of Europe) that they are not the designated “fourth” province in Ireland, but a force to be reckoned with.

But our push for the top four should propel us to the win. Now we only have the Pro12 to focus on, anything less than a top four place will be a disappointing result for us, and a home semi-final should be the aim, even with the injuries we’ve got. As a side pushing for the play-offs we should have the squad to deal with these injuries – now is the time to test that out (I’m sure Kofi will be watching closely!).

There are eight changes to the Ulster side that took on Saracens, most of which are down to injuries. With Jared Payne banned following his red card last week it means Ricky Andrew starts at full-back while Tommy Bowe plays in the less familiar position of outside centre as Darren Cave is rested. Paul Marshall is rewarded for his decent cameo with a start this week at scrum-half in Ruan Pienaar’s absence. Andrew Warwick makes his first start for Ulster and along with Rob Herring and Ricky Lutton they make up an all-changed front row, while Iain Henderson is brought into the second row with Dan Tuohy ruled out. Robbie Diack comes in for the injured Roger Wilson at blindside flanker.

Connacht coach Pat Lam has elected to name an unchanged side for the fourth game running as his side aim to snatch a rare victory at Ravenhill.

So even though we may be out of the Heineken Cup, we still have four massive games to come in the push for the Pro12 play-offs (try saying that five times fast) and the lads will need every bit of support they can get. A win over Connacht will edge us closer to guaranteeing ourselves that top four spot we require.

Actually we probably need it simply to save our season.

Ulster Rugby vs. Connacht Rugby
Friday 11th April, 19:05
Ravenhill
RaboDirect Pro12, Round 19

ULSTER RUGBY
15. Ricky Andrew, 14. Andrew Trimble, 13. Tommy Bowe, 12. Luke Marshall, 11. Craig Gilroy, 10. Paddy Jackson, 9. Paul Marshall; 1. Andrew Warwick, 2. Rob Herring, 3. Ricky Lutton, 4. Johann Muller (capt), 5. Iain Henderson, 6. Robbie Diack, 7. Chris Henry, 8. Nick Williams.

16. Niall Annett, 17. Tom Court, 18. Adam Macklin, 19. Lewis Stevenson, 20. Sean Doyle, 21. Michael Heaney, 22. James McKinney, 23. Stuart McCloskey.

CONNACHT RUGBY
15. Robbie Henshaw, 14. Tiernan O’Halloran, 13. Eoin Griffin, 12. Dave McSharry, 11. Fionn Carr, 10. Dan Parks, 9. Kieran Marmion; 1. Denis Buckley, 2. Jason Harris-Wright, 3. Rodney Ah You, 4. Aly Muldowney, 5. Mick Kearney, 6. John Muldoon (capt), 7. Eoghan Masterson, 8. Eoin McKeon.

16. Dave Heffernan, 17. Ronan Loughney, 18. Finlay Bealham, 19. Michael Swift, 20. Andrew Browne, 21. Frank Murphy, 22. Miah Nikora, 23. Darragh Leader.

Referee: Ian Davies (WRU, 15th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Leo Colgan, Paul Haycock (both IRFU)
Assessor: Jack Young (IRFU)
TMO: Kevin Beggs (IRFU)[/tag]