Proposed Rule Changes

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

bazzaj

Proposed Rule Changes

Post by bazzaj »

With the lack of tries and inventiveness in the 6 nations and at club level, Austin Healey suggested a couple of rule changes proposed in the Telegraph today.
He proposed that free kicks should be awarded instead of penalties at scrum time and imposed time limitations on set piece organisation along with better monitoring of offside.

Got me thinking of what we should do but mind you the Aussies and Kiwis don`t seem to have the problems of hoof fest matches and the real problem in my opinion is the coaching from the bottom up.

What about not getting the lineout when kicking for touch off penalties outside the 22?
Or being allowed to mark the ball anywhere on the pitch to illiminate the hoofing.
Ban lifting in the lineout to obliterate the tedious rolling maul and stupidly long set piece lineouts though granted they might kick it out more as the lineouts then become more of a lottery.

Any other suggestions?

At the end of the day the myth was that Webb Ellis with fine disregard etc etc.... RAN with the fecking ball in his hands

The only reason I want to mention this is to let everyone know I read the Telegraph.
Not that I can afford it but if I spend a fiver or more I get it free along with a coffee in Waitrose.
Sorry did I mention I shopped in Waitrose?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Proposed Rule Changes

Post by BR »

bazzaj wrote: What about not getting the lineout when kicking for touch off penalties outside the 22?
Or being allowed to mark the ball anywhere on the pitch to illiminate the hoofing.
Ban lifting in the lineout to obliterate the tedious rolling maul and stupidly long set piece lineouts.
You mean like it was before they started messing about with the laws.

Although I do remember 9-3 being a high scoring game back then.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Reduce the penalty from 3 points to 1 point.
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Try scorer must take the conversion.

That would provide the odd chuckle.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

big mervyn wrote:Try scorer must take the conversion.

That would provide the odd chuckle.
I like that one.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:
bazzaj wrote: What about not getting the lineout when kicking for touch off penalties outside the 22?
Ban lifting in the lineout to obliterate the tedious rolling maul and stupidly long set piece lineouts.

I seem to recall a match in the 60s at Murrayfield famous for 111 lineouts, can't remember if it was against England or Wales.

Even when I was a nipper attending my first internationals in late 60s onwards, the lineout was a joke, ban lifting & it will just turn into a brawl, hardly a lineout completed without a penalty.

Jizzer, I hate to say this, but for that one post I'm going to say, you are madder than the maddest part of a mad woman's Brennan. marks all over the pitch?? eliminate hoofing??????? g'wan ya gowlbeg, it's a prescription for hoofing.

Actually Jizzer, I suspect you want something very close to that heinous travesty of a game, five tackles & a kick. Your problem is that like the IRB/World Rugby, many things there are well intentioned but the consequences, as with them will often be the reverse of what you intended.

As for Healy, he is an obnoxious little bag of yellow puss.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

scrum5 wrote:Reduce the penalty from 3 points to 1 point.
Reward professional fouls.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
BR wrote:

I seem to recall a match in the 60s at Murrayfield famous for 111 lineouts, can't remember if it was against England or Wales.

Even when I was a nipper attending my first internationals in late 60s onwards, the lineout was a joke, ban lifting & it will just turn into a brawl, hardly a lineout completed without a penalty.

Jizzer, I hate to say this, but for that one post I'm going to say, you are madder than the maddest part of a mad woman's Brennan. marks all over the pitch?? eliminate hoofing??????? g'wan ya gowlbeg, it's a prescription for hoofing.

Actually Jizzer, I suspect you want something very close to that heinous travesty of a game, five tackles & a kick. Your problem is that like the IRB/World Rugby, many things there are well intentioned but the consequences, as with them will often be the reverse of what you intended.

As for Healy, he is an obnoxious little bag of yellow puss.
Surely marks would discourage hoofing Bagster?????
And it was Wales btw.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

What do you do when you take a mark?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
twiglet
Initiate

Post by twiglet »

If you want to see 'rugby' without the scrum etc - watch rugby league. It could do with some people watching it.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Is it not law changes?
The King is dead. Long live the King.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

I'd like to see referees call "Use it" quicker. A lot of referees wait for the 9 to be present before calling - as soon as the ball is back the call should come.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

kingofthehill wrote:Is it not law changes?
Nah, not one sensible suggestion, it's NO changes. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Too bloody true - there were plenty of tries last tournament.

I'd like to see the game given a chance to settle and coaches given a chance to come up with sound strategies. I'd like to see us go five minutes without a kneejerk rules change that is usually changed further in two seasons. Only a fool would say the game's perfect, but it also takes a fool to think changing it is easy. We've all seen the evidence of that.

If the powers that be are kind, hopefully we'll make another few seasons before the next change, so we can get a real idea of what's going on with the game... sadly there's no chance of that.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Yip - let things be.

As for 'use it' - feckin hate that. If the ball is live (and it is up to the ref to keep it live) then what the feck has it to do with the ref?
www.stoutboys.co.uk