Glasgow v Ulster - Play Off Semi Final

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Glasgow v Ulster - Play Off Semi Final

Post by Neill_M »

So Herbst is definitely out and FDVM must be very doubtful. Team might be something like:

Black, Best, Lutton, Stevenson, Tuohy, Hendo, Henry, Wilson, Ruan, Jackson, Gilroy, Cave, Payne, Bowe, Ludik

Warwick, Herring, Ross, Diack, Ross, Marshall, Humph, McCloskey

Currently the game is down as being on Sky Sports and TG4, that may change during the week with BBC ALBA/NI also showing it?

Discuss.....
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Re: Glasgow v Ulster - Play Off Semi Final

Post by ruckover »

Hendo to second row, Diack to blindside
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

ruckover wrote:Hendo to second row, Diack to blindside
I'd be more inclined to do that the other way round, Diack is a solid option at lock and we could do with having Hendo at blindside.
firebell53
Novice

Post by firebell53 »

Don't think McCloskey will make it.
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Wee Woman wrote:
I'd be more inclined to do that the other way round, Diack is a solid option at lock and we could do with having Hendo at blindside.
Have always thought our scrum alcked grunt (though we're fecked there anyway) with Diack at lock. Ideally Hendo to pack at 5, play at 6.
It's the hope that kills you.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

It depends on what the props say about who provides the best support/bind in the set scrum . Given the ever decreasing number of scrums the number on a players back behind the front row becomes less and less important .

Because the truth is very few referees know anything about scrumming fail to penalise at least 1/2 of the offences and generally are lucky if they get the call right 50% of the time .

The only thing that makes the scrum an essential is the fact it provides the only occasion when backs are not looking at a packed defence but the opportunity / benefit is lost due to scrum halfs harassing their opposite number .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Decreasing number of scrums?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Didnt pick up this thread, so posted similar in response to Buckie on t'other thread. :duh:
I'm in the same place as you on this one Ruck.
Exterminate all rational thought
Bullneck

Post by Bullneck »

Was watching on Saturday and would have to question the ref's knowledge & understanding on the scrum because there were definitely 2 and probably more occasions when the starting Glasgow hooker managed to 'strike for' and 'heel' the ball back with his knee/thigh.

Given that scrum did not move forward and may have been pushed back slightly by Ulster i cant see how this can be called as putting the ball in straight or down the middle of the tunnel.

Potential area of strength if Friday nights official can have his attention brought to this matter and requested to police this properly.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Bullneck wrote:Was watching on Saturday and would have to question the ref's knowledge & understanding on the scrum because there were definitely 2 and probably more occasions when the starting Glasgow hooker managed to 'strike for' and 'heel' the ball back with his knee/thigh.

Given that scrum did not move forward and may have been pushed back slightly by Ulster i cant see how this can be called as putting the ball in straight or down the middle of the tunnel.
That was the worst thing you noticed at the scrum? For the whole game, Lutton was bound on the Glasgow loosehead's deltoid and the Glasgow loosehead happily returned the favour by binding somewhere around Lutton's nipple...
Last edited by Neil F on Mon May 18, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Russ when i played the scrum was a far more frequent due to the leather ball and what was deemed to be a knock on the only reason there seems to be a lot of scrums is because the scrum has to be reset so often because front rows continually bore, pull, drop the chin or fail to bind legally . Any prop who considers he is at a disadvantage before the ball goes in goes down or signals the blind side prop to drop (blind side being the side the ref is not standing at )

The game is actually better in some respects when scrums go uncontested ( faster in cleaner out ) as i have stated before now I believe props at the moment are running the risk of being made redundant if they continue to disrupt the scrum by boring etc it would be a simple rule change to make all scrums uncontested the game might be poorer for it, it might also be less dangerous and with fewer unnecessary stoppages.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

I would imagine Hendo and Dan in the second row, with a back row of Diack, Henry and Wilson. Possibly Lewis coming on and Henderson moving to 6. Diack is pretty decent at 8 so it gives Doak lots of options. Just would rather he didn't have to think about it and VDM was available, make it all much easier.
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

I say rest our first XV for the final.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

The game is on BBC NI on Friday.

http://www.pro12rugby.com/news/17379.ph ... 1RiuhqQ.97

The confirmed Live Domestic TV Broadcasters in UK and Ireland for the Guinness PRO12 Play-Offs are as follows:
Glasgow v Ulster - Friday May 22nd at 7.45pm kick off. Sky Sports / BBC ALBA / BBC NI / TG4
Munster v Ospreys - Saturday May 23rd at 2.30pm kick off. Sky Sports / TG4 / S4C
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Maybe Sarge to 6 and Robbie D to 8 with Hendo partnering Dan in the row?
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten