World Cup Prep

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

davejohnston
Initiate

World Cup Prep

Post by davejohnston »

In the last couple of weeks there have been various articles about the WC preparation and training going on in the England and Welsh camps.

Sleeping at high altitudes, training in desert heat etc

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... ha-9608191
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/j ... -world-cup

In the past I would have dismissed this a little, safe in the knowledge the IRFU would be doing their best to allow our lads to compete. But based on the way Wales came out of the blocks in the last WC QF against us, it did make me wonder was there something in it.

Now being physically stronger, or more athletic doesn't mean more skilful, but in the last quarter when players are run of there feet, having that higher level of fitness maybe offers an advantage.

Perhaps the IRFU are just keeping tight lipped about the latest conditioning techniques being used by this squad.

What do you guys think, high altitude training in the Alps or a round of golf at Carlton house - whats the best prep for a WC?
namron
Warrior Chief

Re: World Cup Prep

Post by namron »

I would have my side on three square meals a day ,plenty of wintergreen and oranges at training and a few bottles of stout afterwards to unwind and promote esprit De corps.
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Don't knock it.

Doaky is already experimenting with altitude training and blood doping pre season.

The lads are all in a gym on the top floor of the Obel on a strict diet of black pudding.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Think it was two world cups ago that Deccy had the squad at Spala - using all their state-of-the-art conditioning facilities to allow the boys to train more and recover faster. They turned up at the RWC and were tom kite. I'm happy that they're keeping things simple and gimmick free.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

We got a result at Scaaaaletts last year simply due to being fitter in the last 20
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

pwrmoore wrote:Think it was two world cups ago that Deccy had the squad at Spala - using all their state-of-the-art conditioning facilities to allow the boys to train more and recover faster. They turned up at the RWC and were tom kite. I'm happy that they're keeping things simple and gimmick free.
Is has moved on from then , they now have indoor training facilities that can simulate altitude etc.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Kofi Annan wrote:
pwrmoore wrote:Think it was two world cups ago that Deccy had the squad at Spala - using all their state-of-the-art conditioning facilities to allow the boys to train more and recover faster. They turned up at the RWC and were tom kite. I'm happy that they're keeping things simple and gimmick free.
Is has moved on from then , they now have indoor training facilities that can simulate altitude etc.
Was it not Eddie in 2007? We were seriously underpowered to the extent the Georgians tore us a new one physically.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

So, do the players sleep in tents which are oxygen-rich to help get over knocks and injuries, or do they sleep in oxygen depleted tents to replicate high altitude training and stimulate red cell production to increase fitness?

Or do they use a mix ...... or none at all?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Ruan watch

Picked to play for SA

Chances of getting fecked are high
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

BuckRogers wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
Was it not Eddie in 2007? We were seriously underpowered to the extent the Georgians tore us a new one physically.
It was indeed - I was thinking "Eddie", but for some reason it came off my fingers as "Deccy"... :duh:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

I'm sure Russ could still find a way to blame Deccie's nefarious influence in Ireland's 2007 demise to be fair.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BuckRogers wrote:I'm sure Russ could still find a way to blame Deccie's nefarious influence in Ireland's 2007 demise to be fair.
In charge of the highest providers to the squad (Munter) in 2007

So 2 chubes at the top
Eddie and Deccy
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Bravo sir
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

pwrmoore wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
It was indeed - I was thinking "Eddie", but for some reason it came off my fingers as "Deccy"... :duh:
Ach poor ould Deccie, a coach of considerable ability but look at him now ............. scrapping a living as a Katie Melua impersonator. :roll:
DeccieKidney.jpg
DeccieKidney.jpg (21.95 KiB) Viewed 2679 times
Mind you ........... I would.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Forget about differences in fitness given they are all professionals training for similar times in training camps , the difference in fitness would be minimal , except for injuries .

Eddies problem was he picked the wrong players including one who had announced his intention to retire . He also played a warm up game against a team with nothing to lose by stretching the rules and players took knocks which should have been avoided .

Eddie goofed big time in pre and also during the World Cup over playing the same XV and they became mental exhausted as much as well as carrying knocks .

Retiring players can provide experience to younger players and reliable subs but in my opinion have no place in starting XV

Sent from cyberspace
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist