Charles Piutau .......Sooner the better.......

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Mac
Chancellor to the King

Charles Piutau .......Sooner the better.......

Post by Mac »

Charles Piutau: Wasps to sign Ulster-bound All Black
Inpho
Ulster's new All Blacks signing Charles Piutau is to sign a short-term contract with English Premiership side Wasps.

The 23-year-old utility back, who will join the Pro12 side next July, will sign a six-month contract with Wasps after being omitted from New Zealand's Rugby World Cup squad.

Ulster are not in a position to include him on their roster for this season as their foreign allocation is full.

Piutau played for Auckland Blues and has been capped 14 times for NZ.

Charles Piutau fact file
Born Salesi Tu'ipulotu Piutau in Auckland, October 1991

Represented Tonga at Junior World Championship in 2010

Top try-scorer in New Zealand's 2011 Junior World Championship-winning team

Ulster announced his signing in April in a surprise move as he was expected to re-sign with Blues and New Zealand Rugby.

Since making his All Blacks debut against France in 2013, he has scored four tries in 14 Tests.

The Auckland-born international has played 36 matches for the Blues in Super Rugby, scoring eight tries.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/34207113
Last edited by Mac on Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: Piutau Signs for Wasps

Post by Neill_M »

Could play against the Mexicans in the Not the Heiny Cup - same group. Could also play v Ulster in the knock out rounds - that would be interesting!
Last edited by Neill_M on Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

That seems to be even a worse kept secret than POC signing for the froggie spides
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Pretty silly of the IRFU to obstruct the move on the basis of NIQs in a world cup year.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Serious question could Ulster have afforded his wages THIS season IF the IRFU had made, or offered to make, an exemption?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BuckRogers wrote:Serious question could Ulster have afforded his wages THIS season IF the IRFU had made, or offered to make, an exemption?
How would we know Buck? Are you suggesting they couldn't? If they can't, what will change in the next 9 months, apart from Ludik who can't be on huge money going?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:Serious question could Ulster have afforded his wages THIS season IF the IRFU had made, or offered to make, an exemption?
How would we know Buck? Are you suggesting they couldn't? If they can't, what will change in the next 9 months, apart from Ludik who can't be on huge money going?
Revaluation of Ravenhill?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

There's a myriad of factors in play I would imagine.

Whilst Lulu might not be on the same wage as Piatau he's probably on around at least 60% of Piatau's reported £280k PA which isn't to be sniffed at. There's the Ravers issue as well not to mention the promised additional IRFU funding to the provinces that comes into play next season rather than this if I am not mistaken.

I'm not saying we cannot afford him, I'm merely suggesting it's not necessarily as straight forward as an IRFU veto.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Shoulda passed the cap around Ravenspan last Friday night ....
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Revaluation of Ravenhill?

I had thought that was not expected to happen for some time, could well be wrong, furthermore what guarantee is there that the valuation will be reduced, or even if it is, will it be substantial?

I wouldn't have thought a revaluation is anything that UR could plan their finances around with the remotest certainty, and therefore, won't have/shouldn't have. If they have I would contend they are halfwits.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

I am not sure they could have Buck… but then again what would I know its not as if I have read the accounts.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Sorry that I haven't exactly kept up with the news but has it been announced that Ludik is the NIQ contract not being renewed? or is it assumption that we are getting a 15 so it must be Ludik going. I am guessing that Williams contract was bigger but again couldn't swear to it…

Also I presume there must be some element of guess work in offering a potential contract to a player a season plus ahead of his arrival more so because presumably nothing is signed… if he sets the world alight in the Avia he may not only attract the interest of others but could also if that way inclined try to adjust his wages by calling UR's bluff... you see it frequently with football teams paying over the odds on last minutes deals.. whilst Charlie isn't a last minute deal the longer he leaves signing his value could go up or down.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Assumption only Cockers, but it appears to make sense, other than the obvious need for forwards, especially backrow, half-back is the only position where we are weak in depth and perhaps Peter Nelson could ease some concern there over the coming weeks. We have some depth of wingers & centres, some of whom can cover 15 .

Louis unfortunately looks the most vulnerable, for like others I like him as a player, but the IRFU seem immune to any desired outcomes for Ulster. Mexican based for a Mexican people. :roll:

If Fat Nick were able to give 60 minutes per game like last week, I could see him retained for a year unless something is brewing in the meantime. Obviously I'd have preferences & I also expect injury to intervene as it has done so often in his career, but he has a year to play for his next contract wherever it may be as, at 31, I doubt he is ready to pack it in just yet and go back to Auckland to be a junior detective. :D

On evidence to date I would be all for retaining Franco assuming he remains as consistent as heretofore. Franco appears to suffer only by virtue of not being Johann, he has been outstandingly reliable, almost always available & safe as houses in the lineout and a major grafter elsewhere.

Ruan can stay for ever so really if any are not retained, Nick & Louis are the prime candidates to go.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

baggy…. we are prone to making assumptions at UR after all someone assumed that Windsor would be a good back up O-H yet after one friendly he is already behind Nelson. Windsor it seems may have picked up a big toe injury that may keep him out of the team for the foreseeable future.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote: I had thought that was not expected to happen for some time, could well be wrong, furthermore what guarantee is there that the valuation will be reduced, or even if it is, will it be substantial?

I wouldn't have thought a revaluation is anything that UR could plan their finances around with the remotest certainty, and therefore, won't have/shouldn't have. If they have I would contend they are halfwits.
Should have put a ;) after my post. You'd like to think UR aren't relying on their housing benefit cheque arriving from the zecutive.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk