Cider drinkers

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

What do you think about the Orchard Thieves cider on offer at Ravenhill?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:11 am

Can't stand it, so I drink beer/stout instead
55%
Don't really like it but it's the only cider on offer so I drink it
No votes
It's OK, cider is cider to me
45%
It's lovely, I never drink anything else
No votes

Total votes: 11

pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Cider drinkers

Post by pwrmoore »

My better half's drink of choice is cider. But not at Ravenhill since the chosen "pourage partners" introduced the abomination known as "Orchard Thieves" which tastes like tom kite. She's tried writing to UR about having an alternative available but apparently there is no "no demand" for anything else. Precisely how they know this I have no idea. There is only one cider on sale and folks either drink it or go without.

So anyway I thought I'd test the demand a little myself so if you're a cider drinker please feel free to add your opinion.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Cider drinkers

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

I am an occasional cider drinker, especially in hot weather, but haven't had the "pleasure" of this particular brew.

I tend to like dry ciders, but do surprisingly find Magners quite pallatable also.

I'm assuming it's nothing like Magners which the masses seem to like, but if it's particularly dry, I might like it ....... but not on a cold wet night at Ravers - It's stout only on such occasions for me.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:I am an occasional cider drinker, especially in hot weather, but haven't had the "pleasure" of this particular brew.

I tend to like dry ciders, but do surprisingly find Magners quite pallatable also.

I'm assuming it's nothing like Magners which the masses seem to like, but if it's particularly dry, I might like it ....... but not on a cold wet night at Ravers - It's stout only on such occasions for me.
Never heard of it but otherwise I echo the thoughts of Grumps, other than the weather is immetesticle, if it's Spanners I'll have stout thanks. :stout:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:I am an occasional cider drinker, especially in hot weather, but haven't had the "pleasure" of this particular brew.

Never heard of it but otherwise I echo the thoughts of Grumps, other than the weather is immetesticle, if it's Spanners I'll have stout thanks. :stout:
This place is turning into Facebook.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

I like the Normandy and Asturias stuff. Actually tastes like apples.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

pwrmoore wrote:My better half's drink of choice is cider. But not at Ravenhill since the chosen "pourage partners" introduced the abomination known as "Orchard Thieves" which tastes like tom kite. She's tried writing to UR about having an alternative available but apparently there is no "no demand" for anything else. Precisely how they know this I have no idea. There is only one cider on sale and folks either drink it or go without.

So anyway I thought I'd test the demand a little myself so if you're a cider drinker please feel free to add your opinion.
I would suggest that you contact the Heineken reps instead of UR as it seems to be whichever brand they are marketing, there have been several different ciders over the past 3 seasons, check out Heineken website and see which they market in the UK
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

We all know you're useless with a wet cider
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

This place is turning into Facebook.
LIKE :thumleft:
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:I like the Normandy and Asturias stuff. Actually tastes like apples.
In which case why don't you just buy apples? :scratch:
I'm not arguing -
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
big mervyn wrote:I like the Normandy and Asturias stuff. Actually tastes like apples.
In which case why don't you just buy apples? :scratch:
That was another helpful suggestion brought to you at no extra cost by Cap'n. >appl
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

C'est cidre. Not cider.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

From what I remember (which isn't very much...) the Asturias stuff is quite alcoholic. This was from drinking in a traditional cider bar in Asturias where the barmen lifted the bottle of cider above their head to pour down into a glass. This was meant to aerate the cider, as it wasn't heavily carbonated. They had a pretty good aim but inevitably plenty of liquid ended up on the floor so they scattered sawdust from time to time to soak it up. The rest of the evening is a bit of a blur.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

mikerob wrote:
From what I remember (which isn't very much...) the Asturias stuff is quite alcoholic. This was from drinking in a traditional cider bar in Asturias where the barmen lifted the bottle of cider above their head to pour down into a glass. This was meant to aerate the cider, as it wasn't heavily carbonated. They had a pretty good aim but inevitably plenty of liquid ended up on the floor so they scattered sawdust from time to time to soak it up. The rest of the evening is a bit of a blur.
Aye. It takes sticky floors to a new level.

Anybody remember the old Yates' Wine Lodges in Engerland about 30 years ago? The drink of choice was a half pint of a sweet sticky fortified wine known as "Australian White". The establishments had bare wooden floors which absorbed the spills and walking to the bar was like having velcro on the soles your shoes.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

Since being forced down the " wheat free" route, cider has become my Ravenhill tipple. Have to admit, I think the Orchard Thieves is the dogs b0llicks.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

Anybody remember the old Yates' Wine Lodges in Engerland about 30 years ago? The drink of choice was a half pint of a sweet sticky fortified wine known as "Australian White". The establishments had bare wooden floors which absorbed the spills and walking to the bar was like having velcro on the soles your shoes.
I can remember The Coachmans in Bangor being like this back in the day. The carpeted area surrounding the bar was what I would imagine fly paper is like to a poor unfortunate bluebottle. :stout: