Ulster v Clermont Sat 1pm Sky Sports 2

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Ulster v Clermont Sat 1pm Sky Sports 2

Post by Neill_M »

So it's the Not the Heiny again. No chance of progressing from the group imo, so the result on Saturday is immaterial in a way, but need to get some form going and don't want to be destroyed at home. Playing a fantastic team, who struggle at the pointy end of competitions and lose far too many finals/semi finals etc. Their fans are also fantastic, made a racket when they visited in 2011/12.

Hoping for a good performance and a narrow defeat. A win might delude the management that they can still get out of the group and send a strong side to France, instead of resting players for the much more important Pro 12 game v Connacht.
Last edited by Neill_M on Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Clermont Sat 1pm Sky Sports 2

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

And lest we forget folks this Saturday it will be Trevor Brennan DAY 3612. 10th Anniversary rapidly approaching. Anyone else getting excited or just me?
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:And lest we forget folks this Saturday it will be Trevor Brennan DAY 3612. 10th Anniversary rapidly approaching. Anyone else getting excited or just me?
Can't get excited about that particular celebration- I know the Guinness will be sh*t.
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

They sent the best away supporters to a match I have ever seen last time we played them. I think there were something like 1500 in total? Incredible atmosphere which I only hope can be repeated on Saturday.
Nevin Spence - Forever an Ulsterman
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

I will be in attendance, its my 2nd visit to the franchise this season, I bet we're shyte
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

No fecks about the result but we need a decent performance.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Bonus point win for Ulster.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

thecrouch wrote:Bonus point win for Ulster.
As in, win a bonus point by being within 7? :duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Mid Ulster ROB
Novice

Post by Mid Ulster ROB »

So much negativity, I wreckon we can get the win bonus, no reason we can't do to them what we done to Toulouse almost this time last year, déjà vu, but only against a totally different team. I called it last week when I said get behind the team, I will say it again and hope we can get a win
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Comparing Clermont to Toulouse is absurd. Toulouse have a massive pack, but if you can negate that (which we did easily) then they pose no threat to you whatsoever. Clermont simply have sheer quality across their entire team.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

Mid Ulster ROB wrote:So much negativity, I wreckon we can get the win bonus, no reason we can't do to them what we done to Toulouse almost this time last year, déjà vu, but only against a totally different team. I called it last week when I said get behind the team, I will say it again and hope we can get a win
Beating the blues last week didn't take a miracle, the difference between them and us is we were marginally better, that in itself is no compliment. Turns out the only thing worse than being an Ulster fan is being a Cardiff fan

Anyway, we will be lucky to get anything from this game. Clermont are top of the Top14 and, IIRC, 10 points from 10 so far in Europe. LBP, and i'll be happy :thumleft:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:And lest we forget folks this Saturday it will be Trevor Brennan DAY 3612. 10th Anniversary rapidly approaching. Anyone else getting excited or just me?
You understand that this is a spec in the ocean.

It is currently 19372 days since Connacht won in Belfast, another day of infamy.

Some records will tell you it was 1960, they are wrong, indeed the early 60s were a fertile period for Connacht since they beat Ulster in 1960, 1963 & 1964 according to the IRFU archive. 13-3 in each of the latter two with '60 being a classic 3-6 and whilst I don't recall the scores that could have been 1 try v 2 tries in those days.

Equally fascinating, when I first started attending matches a converted try was a goal, on Saturday Ulster scored 5 goals in Cardiff. :shock:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Mid Ulster ROB wrote:So much negativity, I wreckon we can get the win bonus, no reason we can't do to them what we done to Toulouse almost this time last year, déjà vu, but only against a totally different team. I called it last week when I said get behind the team, I will say it again and hope we can get a win
Just so much wrong with that post I wonder Rob, are you sure this is your forte? Don't get me wrong, your opinions are worth as much as many of the varieties of chubes here, but ............well.............

Let's review things in a month, what do you say?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dave wrote:No fecks about the result but we need a decent performance.
That we do, I'm wondering how focussed they will be, they are almost a shoo-in already, they may relax & expect to knock our wine in the following week. Maybe over-optimistic.

With the possibility of Rory, Paddy & GLU to bolster the squad, I can see a possible win, though I do not see anything remotely close to a TBP win .................Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadiff they aren't.

Do expect a decent game mind you, though these bloody early KOs can play havoc with the metabollicks of both players and fans.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Actually there are plenty of reasons, but let's simplify things and just look at the top two reasons why this won't happen.

Reason 1 - Ulster are pretty bad

Reason 2 - Clermont are really, really good, way better than Toulouse.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND