Ulster Squad v Embra

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Ulster Squad v Embra

Post by ColinM »

From the Darkside

Although not mentioned in the headline text, Rory must be fit, as only two hookers named :cheers:

Good to see Whitten included, even if he doesnt make the 22 it should be a signal for Dewey.
Ulster Coach Matt Williams has today named a 25 man squad to take on Andy Robinson's Edinburgh side, at Ravenhill on Friday night.
David Pollock, Thomas Anderson, Darren Cave, Ian Whitten and scrum half Cillian Willis, who replaces Paul Marshall, are all additions, to the squad that was sorely defeated by the Ospreys last weekend.

Ulster are focused and ready, for a solid performance against the Scottish side, as the Irish province try hard to lift themselves from the bottom of the Magners League. The importance of this game has not been lost on Ulster Rugby Captain Rory Best who has returned from injury and is named in the squad:

"A win against Edinburgh will be the springboard we need to turn our fortunes around. We have to go out on Friday ready for a win."

"Edinburgh is a crucial game for us now and each member of the squad understands the importance of the match, and are ready and willing to put in a performance to be proud of. Every game played is important, but with the Heineken cup next week, each member of the squad will not only be playing for the win come Friday, but for their position on the team to take on Stade next Saturday."

"We also want to put in a performance that our supporters can be proud of" continued Rory

Tickets are still on sale for this fixture and can be purchased online HERE, over the counter at Ravenhill Monday to Friday from 9pm to 5pm, over the telephone 028 9049 3222 Option 2 or through any of our ticket outlets which are listed below.

Ulster Rugby has also extended the popular Student rate of "tickets for a tenner" this week due to high demand. Tickets can be purchased from Ravenhill until 4pm on Friday as long as you have a valid student card.

ULSTER SQUAD FORWARDS

Justin Fitzpatrick; Nigel Brady, Tom Court, Rory Best, Brendon Botha, Carlo Del Fava, Ed O'Donoghue, Ryan Caldwell, Matt McCullough, Kieron Dawson, Robbie Diack, Stephen Ferris, David Pollock, Thomas Anderson

ULSTER SQUAD BACKS

Niall O'Connor; Bryn Cunningham, Timoci Nagusa, Darren Cave, Andrew Trimble, Clinton Schifcofske, Cillian Willis, Isaac Boss, Paul Steinmetz, Ian Humphreys, Ian Whitten
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster Squad v Embra

Post by Jackie Brown »

Interesting, although i can't think all the blame can be laid at Dewey's feet he still has never performed in an ulster shirt. This should mean a center partnership of Steiner and Trimble. I feel this will work with Steiner playing a Mike Catt calming influence style role. Fingers and toes crossed for Friday, i am slightly more optimistic!
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
The Ulsterian
Initiate

Post by The Ulsterian »

Witten was impressive in the Ulster A Leinster A game at Gibson Park.

Here's hoping Steiny will start in the centre and bring a bit of leadership. And hopefully his passion for the shirt will rub off onto the others.

STANDUP, AND BE HEARD, FOR THE ULSTERMEN
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Jackie Brown wrote:Interesting, although i can't think all the blame can be laid at Dewey's feet he still has never performed in an ulster shirt. This should mean a center partnership of Steiner and Trimble. I feel this will work with Steiner playing a Mike Catt calming influence style role. Fingers and toes crossed for Friday, i am slightly more optimistic!
Me too JB, I'd go for starting:

Court, Best, Botha, Carlo, Ed, 1F, Pollock, Diack

Boss, Humph, Schif, Steiner, Cave, Trimble, Bryn

Would like to see Andy and Steiner in the middle, but we're just too short of options out wide, and having a choice of either Jim or Cave on the pitch I've gone for Cave.
Fly Half
Steward

Post by Fly Half »

There are 11 backs named so one will drop out of the final 22. Since three of them are almost exclusively centres, Steinmetz, Cave and Whitten it has to be one of them to drop out - probably Whitten.

I expect Steinmetz to start at 12 and Cave at 13 with Trimble again on the left wing. It will be interesting to see which fly half is picked. Surely Humphreys has to get a chance given that NOC's inexperience has been exposed.

Boss
Humph
Trimble
Steinmetz
Cave
Jim
Schifcofske

Willis
NOC
Cunningham

Court is bound to return from the naughty corner to start but who will be the locks and backrows? I hope Ulster start with Del Fava, Caldwell, Ferris, Pollock and Diack, with McCullough and Dawson on the bench. So if Ferris and Pollock are not 100% then both sides are covered.
The future isn't what it used to be
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

The injury to Paddy is having a big effect on the selection at 10,12 &13.

I know injuries and below par performances haven't helped but i reckon Williams is going to have to decide pretty soon what his best centre pairing is and stick with it for a while.

This dithering isn't very convincing.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

That's an impressive pack. I think our backs simply lack quality.

Agree with everyone here re. Steinmetz. Has to start, take pressure off whoever plays at 10, get the ball moving along the backs and communicate. His defence is also immense.
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/9269.php
Good, but short interview with Steiner.
He brings a level of composure and experience to the 12 shirt that we need right now. I'd have him and Trimble in the centres for Friday night.
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

Whilst I appreciate a) Steinmetz does have a good rugby brain and b) our backs have been useless so far I am not convinced he is the solution. I think this largely because as an athlete he just isnt there anymore. I cant remember him running round or through anyone in ages. This leads him to do silly stuff, like those little, and completely ineffective grubber kicks he became so fond of late last season.

I suppose though he cant be much worse than the competition have been.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

bigchiefally wrote:Whilst I appreciate a) Steinmetz does have a good rugby brain and b) our backs have been useless so far I am not convinced he is the solution. I think this largely because as an athlete he just isnt there anymore. I cant remember him running round or through anyone in ages. This leads him to do silly stuff, like those little, and completely ineffective grubber kicks he became so fond of late last season.

I suppose though he cant be much worse than the competition have been.

BCA i think a lot of the optimism about Steiner and his fitness levels are founded upon a good all round performance last week, capped by an excellent try saving tackle and a great break on abut minute number 79.

Whilst he isnt perfect, and i have stood and watched him at various times in the past wondering exactly where he got his ABs cap from, i reckon he's the best option we have for the 12 shirt, particularly while PW is injured.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

He should be told, if nothings on, ping the corners. Throwing the ball about aimlessly in our won half which we have done all too much this season will get us no where.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

I think Browner has hit the nail firmly on the head - Williams needs to pick his centre pairing on a consistent basis, even if that means sacrificing an option out wide in Trimble. I also think that he needs to decide the centre positions of individual players. At the moment, I think Ulster need a skilful, footballing 12 in the mould of Steiner or Wallace and a bigger, stronger, ball carrying 13, so my choice would be Steiner and Trimble for this weekend, with Schifcofske and Nagusa on the wings. Ideally, Nagusa would drop to the bench after recent performances but if Williams is looking to stabilise then this is a decision that has to be made - through injuries, Ulster haven't had the chance to select a full strength squad from but it's getting close to full strength and Williams needs to make the call as to who is going to play where.

I think Edinburgh would offer Ian a strong change to show exactly what he has to offer. Edinburgh have a decent back row and a very good set of half backs but I think they play the sort of defence that Ian could break apart.

My team would be:

15. Cunningham
14. Nagusa
13. Trimble
12. Steinmetz
11. Schifcofske
10. Humphreys
9. Boss

1. Court
2. Best
3. Botha
4. Del Fava
5. Caldwell
6. Ferris
7. Pollock
8. Diack

16. Phillpot
17. J Fitzpatrick
18. O'Donoghue
19. McCullough
20. Marshall
21. O'Connor
22. Cave
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

Given the weather forecast

The backrow could be Pollock Diack and Ferris

and the 5/8s being Boss O Connor Steinmetz

As some one has point out Steinmetz does possess the grubber kick and would be more inclined to kick than Dewey who takes the Ball in to contact

Given that Ulster have seldom made the opponents 22 and there is and has been an inability to link either in side or out from the first centre since most modern defences are based on the isolation of the inside centre Steinmetz could provide a steading influence with ability to keep the forwards going forward and the opposition going back by use of the boot

Provided that the kicks Steinmetz makes actually make it through and behind the Edinburgh backline the weakness of the grubber is that it can rebound off the advancing defence it is an attacking option with risk

Taking the ball into contact is the option of least risk provided you have support and don't fumble the ball at this monent
the support is not always there and Dewey's technique requires major rethinking

The only player in the squad who do with a resting is Timmy but it appears that Matt has questions ?? against McCrea
not to sure why ? and Cochrane is still to physically immature for this level .
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

bogboy wrote:Given the weather forecast
Forecast now dry , is that the one you are going on boggy ?
I think the starting 15 will be those that will play against Stade bar injury or Paddy returning.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
King Ding
Squire

Post by King Ding »

i would be surprised to see a combination of Steinmetz and whitten in the centre, as they have played well together in the A team, however i don't think williams will start whitten when the most rugby he has seen has been 30 minutes in pre season.