Are we making moves?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

FatherDameo
Novice

Are we making moves?

Post by FatherDameo »

As the close season heats up with many teams announcing signings one wonders what ulsters plans are. Southern hemisphere quality could be hard to come by with the world cup not far away. Wasps and many of the french teams have moved for players within europe. Will ulster be doing the same? Whats the key positions for ulster. 9? Do we need much or opt for continuity?
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Re: Are we making moves?

Post by Neil F »

In most positions, I am quite happy with what Ulster have, in terms of starting players. Ultimately, Williams has continued to talk about a 36 month plan and, with that being the case, I'm happy enough to see the same starting team given the chance to develop. We might have a few limitations in a first choice XV but most of the guys are young, are developing, and have come along very well this season. I'm not sure we'll see any big players coming in - in the pack, we have 6 Irish guys, 1 South African and Diack who will be Irish-qualified if he stays; all have done well and there's a lot of youth there. Rory is still only 26, Caldwell 24, O'Donoghue 26, and the first-choice backrow is 23, 22 and 21, with some promising and youthful backup coming from Henry, Anderson and Faloon. If Ulster are serious about a 36 month improvement, then I don't think changing the pack is necessary, or even a good thing. Youth is on the side of the pack and they will continue to get better as a unit. I'd like to see a little more depth in the second row, though - I guess that's why Touhy has been brought in, though - if Williams' other signings of young forwards is anything to go by, this could prove a useful signing.

The major worries I have are in the halfbacks. Ian Humphreys has had a good season and, again at only 26 and having not played regularly before this season, has plenty of room to improve so I can't see a move for a quality 10 but O'Connor looks short on confidence and Wallace is now definately an inside centre, so perhaps some depth here is required? Same with scrum-half - Boss has looked good recently but with doubts over whether or not Willis will be staying for another season, we look short on depth here, although I wonder how Porter is coming along?

In the centres, I think we've got enough with Cave, Trimble, Whitten and Wallace, although with both Dewey and Steiner hitting the road, an extra body might be a good idea? It's only really in the back three where I think there are any worries - Danielli and Nagusa have both had lay-offs this season and Trimble and McCrea have both struggled for any kind of consistency. The same with fullback. We have two guys, 30+ there, both of whom have been laid off for a time with injury this season. I'd rather see Ulster sign a quality back-three player than anything else, but certainly to improve depth in this area.
speedwobble
Novice

Post by speedwobble »

Not sure we need too many more signings. I would love to see Willis stay as I think he has shown a bit of class and would push Boss all the way and keep him on his toes. Gotta think he may go for a replacement or cover for Dawson who has had a good season but the guy is nearing the end of his career and owes us nothing. Extra cover for the backs would be nice and with Dewey and Steiner going we have room for a decent quality foreign player.

TBH I think we can safely leave it in the capable hands of MW. He's done pretty well with the guys he brought in and the team is really beginning to play as a unit.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I would like to see a flanker who can play 6 or 7 and a fly half.
We will need two full backs in the very near future! I would like to see one next season.
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

When Munster anounced the signing of Felix Jones I couldn't help but think he would've been perfect for us
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Oh Gerry wrote: We will need two full backs in the very near future!
What about signing Duffy from Connacht? :duck:

Would the Bogbunnies part with Earls? He's wasted in their backline.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Not sure Downey is the sort of player Ulster need, RHH; neither Maggs, nor Dewey, did the kind of job for Ulster that we thought they would. I think Ulster need more creative and less direct centres, certainly at 12.
Windeos wrote:When Munster anounced the signing of Felix Jones I couldn't help but think he would've been perfect for us
Interesting idea. To be honest, I'd sooner have Fionn Carr, but maybe that's just me? As it is, I think at least one of Carr and Jones will be staying away from Leinster in the long-term because they're not going to get enough first-team games with Kearney there, so one of those two on a contract of two or three years would have been good.
FatherDameo
Novice

Post by FatherDameo »

Is it fair to say the redevelopment will impact on what ulster do this close season?
I say this all the time but would love to see someone who offers a running threat from 15. Think its been shown to be crucial in the modern game and something ulster have lacked for many many years.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

RHH; I do see what you mean. To be honest, I think Whitten has been a bonus this season. Really, with Whitten coming through, Ulster are only down one centre, even though Steinmetz and Dewey are moving on. Ideally, Ulster would have another player capable at playing 12; Cave, Trimble and Whitten can play at 13 and Wallace and Whitten at 12, so I'd sooner see a fairly direct replacement for Steinmetz than a sort of "catch-all" solution to bulk up numbers.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

We need to replace Dawson, Steinmitz and if he goes Willis.

I think one 2 can be foreigners so lets get the big names in for Steinmitz and, if Willis goes, a 9. Dawson repalcement can be an old hand, Irishman who has done the rounds - any ideas. As for the FB replacement will probably be next Summer but you never know.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Ardglass; I think it all depends on how strictly the laws on foreign players are applied. In first team squads this season, if I'm right: Connacht; 9, Leinster; 9 (10 including Le Roux), Munster; 7 (or 8 if Manning isn't, as yet, Irish-qualified through residency) and Ulster; 9 (8 if we're not including Diack who seems determined to become Irish-qualified). Unless there is a serious commitment to reducing these numbers to the stated levels, then I see no reason why Ulster can't replace the three players you mention with imports - Dewey and Steinmetz already knock two of the nine out and I personally think that Del Fava may be on his way at the end of this season as well.

With that being the case; I don't see the need to bring in non-Irish centres this season. I don't think it makes sense to bring in expensive quality that would replace Wallace or Cave, both of whom have had fantastic seasons and I'm not sure how I'd feel about some foreign journeyman coming in to fill up the squad - a young, Irish-qualified player could surely be found and might well be worth the risk. I think scrum-half depends on two things - Boss' form for the rest of this season and Willis' decision to stay or to go back to Leinster - if both of those things don't go our way, then a quality foreign scrum-half could be necessary.

Dawson might have a season left in him. If so, that would give us time to really see the merits of Faloon and to see if he's worth the place. If Faloon doesn't cut it, then the same goes here as for the centres - it makes no sense to replace Pollock with an expensive quality player but more strength is needed. What Williams has done well is turn up quality Irish-qualified players and he may well look to bring in another to cover 7.

Honestly, I think I'd take more strength and depth in certain positions, rather than expensive and known quantities, except, perhaps, at 9 where it might be needed.
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

Also a thing to note which could work in our favour (if rumours are to be believed) is that Leinster are supposed to be close to signing Reddan. Now if that were true it would be up to Willis to basically play 2nd fiddle at leinster or fight for a starting spot here with us.

Here's hoping he stays put.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Don't see it, Windeos; Reddan signed a new two-year deal with Wasps in February 2008, so it seems he'll be there until the end of next season at least.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

According to this article in today's IT, Leinster are still after Reddan and are negotiating to try and buy out the remainder of his contract.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

there's also the rumour about leinster signing stringer...
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden