So . . . who?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

bazzaj

Re: So . . . who?

Post by bazzaj »

I think removing the role of Director of Rugby may actually make the role of coach more appealing to a decent coach who would not fancy working under someone else and widens the search net.
Adversely it may not say a lot for a coach who is prepared to work under someone.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

I edited my earlier post.... Mike Ruddock, would also be a good call and works within the confines of the IRFU, been a previous DOR at Worcester and won a Grand Slam with Wales, think he's wasted at the U20's.
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Ulsterscall
Novice

Post by Ulsterscall »

Don't think we necessarily need a DOR post but if we have to have one Brynn Cunningham or Ryan Constable could be good calls - good business experience with Cornerflag/new crowd, plenty of experience negotiating contracts, good playing backgrounds and bags of player/coaching recruitment contacts.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Ulsterscall wrote:Don't think we necessarily need a DOR post but if we have to have one Brynn Cunningham or Ryan Constable could be good calls - good business experience with Cornerflag/new crowd, plenty of experience negotiating contracts, good playing backgrounds and bags of player/coaching recruitment contacts.
Bryn could be a good shout but Cornerflag is Constables business,he is going nowhere.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Would be happy enough with Bryn but the more I think about it Ruddock sounds perfect.
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

kingofthehill wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:I am truly at a loss to to understand why so many think that Paddy should be parachuted into a DOR post. Paddy has been a great player and a good bloke, but what are his credentials for such a post?
Clarke is much closer to the type of person for that post and I am told that, contrary to what some appear to think, is doing a great job shaping things up behind the scenes. He may not be universally popular with some, but are they just the people who he considers not good enough?
How about Shaun Edwards?

What does a DOR do?

A DOR isn't a coach.
Humph had a degree in law and had worked as a solicitor for a while before professionalism came in. After that, I believe he kept his hand in with the firm of solicitors until he retired from playing. He at least had a professional background outside playing rugby and that was why, in my opinion, the post he occupied was created around him and his unique skill set. I don't think that anyone can walk straight into that post and a whole new structure will be needed. Probably adopting a model similar to the other provinces.
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Cockatrice wrote:We don't need a DOR.....it was a job that was created by the man for the man. What we need is a quality coach who can coach without interference. Maybe a reason why we haven't been able to recruit such a coach is because UR was Humps version of what suited his own agenda.
bazzaj wrote:Interesting the view of some that do we need the Humph role at all?
Should a recruiter should be working for the coach to fit in with his plans and not the other way around?
I would therefore like to see a new quality coach in charge of the entire rugby side of things and good enough and strong enough that we can erradicate the role of director of rugby.

These allude to what I initially meant. DOR in the Ulster context was essentially a personal post - Humphries constructed it - in the absence of him, long-term (if not short-term as well, which would be preferable) I would presume we are getting a DOR with his own subordinate coaching staff, and being responsible for first-team coaching and medium-term recruitment.

Ruddock is interesting. He is, however, Welsh.

Re Paddy Wallace - wouldn't have the skills to be a conventional DOR, but may have the nous and contacts to fulfil a 'Humph-lite' role until after the RWC. Break glass option, though.
It's the hope that kills you.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The obvious replacement for David Humphries is........

ROG.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
ArdsLegend
Novice

Post by ArdsLegend »

Stefan Terblanche...just because I love that man!

From the outside it appears that the main thing we will miss is Humphs player identification and recruitment, where I think he was very successful in the main. Someone with a greater knowledge of Southern Hemisphere rugby would be beneficial. Aside from that I'm not sure what Humph was really responsible for that couldn't be managed by the coach/branch.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

ArdsLegend wrote:Stefan Terblanche...just because I love that man!

From the outside it appears that the main thing we will miss is Humphs player identification and recruitment, where I think he was very successful in the main. Someone with a greater knowledge of Southern Hemisphere rugby would be beneficial. Aside from that I'm not sure what Humph was really responsible for that couldn't be managed by the coach/branch.
Maybe a chicken and egg question but regarding our SA connections was it not our SA players that played a large part in that process with Dave tidying up the paperwork and taking the credit.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
ArdsLegend
Novice

Post by ArdsLegend »

I'm not sure. Again this would beg the question "What did Humph actually do?"
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

A large part of this question can only be answered when UR decide what it us they need or indeed want.....so Logie has some big decisions to make and hopefully he takes advice from the right people.

Is it to be a DOR set up like we have at the minute and that Glaws are now moving to, a more hands on DOR/coach doing both roles or a Coach only. If anyone feared that the latter would cause us recruitment problems then set up a simple network... Muller in SA acting as a scout and ambassador or use agencies like everyone else....

Btw does Hump get his shares back?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

ArdsLegend wrote:I'm not sure. Again this would beg the question "What did Humph actually do?"
Not as much as he will have to do in Glaws...he hid behind this self appointed title for a number of years now with Glock and Anscombe taking all the flak and taking credit for signing Pienaar when it would never have happened withOut Mueller. You'd probably need the job description to answer that one in truth Ards and there never was one.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

DH. Has a law degree and had prior business experience not to sure what Paddy's background is basically DH created the role because he didn't want to coach on a day to day basis and the post enabled the Branch to appoint and administrator who had little influence or involvement with the the professional game which was the fat controllers downfall in the eyes of many too many hats and to few ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist