Glasgow v Ulster Fri 23rd Sep 7:35pm BBC2Scot/BBC2NI

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Re: Glasgow v Ulster Fri 23rd Sep 7:35pm BBC2Scot/BBC2NI

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

Davies reminds of the worst kind of PE teacher- the one who spoils the fun for all 30 kids on the pitch by refereeing like he never played or enjoyed sport and resents the fact that others do.

Really hope Olding isn't too bad. I'm clinging on to the hope that cruciate injuries usually leave on a stretcher.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Snipe Watson wrote:The penalty try was wrong. There was another defender coming in. It was a pen and a yellow, but not a PT.
t.
Probably but I wouldn't have fancied the covering defender stopping him from there.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Went out tonight instead of watching. Told myself that if I stayed in to watch Ulster would lose and if I went out they'd win. Glad to see the universe works as expected - here's to speedy work by Rooster.

Impressive result. Feels like there's some squad players making something of themselves. Next step is some consistency - step after that is, hopefully, finally, silverware.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Nightsoil wrote:Went out tonight instead of watching. Told myself that if I stayed in to watch Ulster would lose and if I went out they'd win. Glad to see the universe works as expected - here's to speedy work by Rooster.

Impressive result. Feels like there's some squad players making something of themselves. Next step is some consistency - step after that is, hopefully, finally, silverware.
Hope you enjoyed being out. Cos that's where you're going to be all season. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HairyJ
Initiate

Post by HairyJ »

LegsLikeSausages wrote:Davies reminds of the worst kind of PE teacher- the one who spoils the fun for all 30 kids on the pitch by refereeing like he never played or enjoyed sport and resents the fact that others do.

Really hope Olding isn't too bad. I'm clinging on to the hope that cruciate injuries usually leave on a stretcher.
The worst kind of PE teacher is the one who wants to play kick the soap in the showers.

IMVHO
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

The 1st half lasted almost an hour due to the multi TMO situations! Mr Davies got no 2 wrong, made up for it with no 3 - it's not a penalty try. Hendo was stupid for no 1. Paddy's non try in the 2nd half...potential try of the year.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Again solid set-piece all night. One pen conceded by Black just after arriving but we had plenty of pressure on their ball, even with Lulu in the scrum lol. A lot of Glasgow scrum ball going backwards. Surprised there weren't a lot more scrums collapsing on the wet linoleum.
Our rolling maul is a weapon when Alan gets at the rudder. Then Big Pete came on and absolutely wrecked every Glasgow line-out. And we managed to correctly scupper their line-out correctly for a change by not engaging. It's usually us get suckered by that.
Clive was like a dervish, diving about all over the place. Hendy is a freak.
Nice to see a bit of dog up front. Rodney's hightlight carry was what we want to see from the big lad.
Amazingly Charless wasn't MOTM but his break for the second try was just...woah how'd he get through there.
Ludik's break for Paddy's try was lovely with nice simple passing by Ruan and Darren. His take of the high ball too.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
twiglet
Initiate

Post by twiglet »

Why does the BBC insist that Ulster have never won at Scotstoun? I was there a few years ago when we won in the ERC.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

twiglet wrote:Why does the BBC insist that Ulster have never won at Scotstoun? I was there a few years ago when we won in the ERC.
Because as usual the message gets garbled. With never won in the league being reported as never won.
Well it's irrelevant now anyway.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

HairyJ wrote:
Dave wrote:Someone on munterfans has said we some real monsters up front. We have found a front row and a backrow. With Coetzee, Henry, Touhy and Herbst to return at sone stage, the likes of Treadwell and Rea waiting in the wings. We are approaching brill....
Whisper it, but big Pete is twice the player he was this time last year and might be "doing a Reidy", who is becoming a genuine force himself.
Yeah, I thought Reidy looked pretty decent. The pack were a lot more physical and better carriers than I gave them credit for. Hopefully they can continue to play like that because that's all we need. We have the backline to destroy most sides. The key is to at least get parity at set-piece and to give the backs some front-foot ball during the phases. Not often I've seen Ulster play away from home in the Pro12 and look pretty dominant against a decent side so that was encouraging. Slightly concerned that we don't have a lot of players to come into the pack - so that's almost as good as it gets.

Ludik was very good and Cave looked good considering he hasn't played much. Loved the way we played in the wet in the first 40. Fek the conditions. Players like Charlie and big Stu are just as effective in the wet as they're so physical. Really hope McCloskey isn't too bad as I think he's pretty key at 12.

Finally, what an entertaining game. Sure the officials made some errors and that added to the drama but cracking physicality and some good tries.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

Neill_M wrote:The 1st half lasted almost an hour due to the multi TMO situations! Mr Davies got no 2 wrong, made up for it with no 3 - it's not a penalty try. Hendo was stupid for no 1. Paddy's non try in the 2nd half...potential try of the year.
Think Seymour would have been in a bit of bother if there hadn't been the earlier infringement--amazing from paddy all the same.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Herbst, Tuohy, Henry, Coetzee - that sounds like a fair few players to me.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Jockster wrote:
Neill_M wrote:The 1st half lasted almost an hour due to the multi TMO situations! Mr Davies got no 2 wrong, made up for it with no 3 - it's not a penalty try. Hendo was stupid for no 1. Paddy's non try in the 2nd half...potential try of the year.
Think Seymour would have been in a bit of bother if there hadn't been the earlier infringement--amazing from paddy all the same.
I thought Paddy was tripped. Could be wrong though.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Bowe and Trimble to come back in too.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Jockster wrote:
True, he could have been done for a yellow and another penalty try potentially. Knocked out of Paddy's hand with no control.

Bowe, Trimble, Gilroy missing tonight.