More flegs and crap...

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Windeos
Warrior Chief

Irish Times Letters to the Editor.

Post by Windeos »

I couldn't care less if a fellow Ulster fan brought a tri colour to the game with Ulster across it so long as he supports Ulster.

As a side point, I took my home made Northern Ireland flag to the game, it's about 10ft wide, with writing to represent the town I'm from on it. I went with 3 catholic friends, two of which haven't been to rugby games.

All three love holding the flag up because it was for show and looked good because it also has the team colours of mainly white & red.

They had no problem with my flag, I asked them countless times in case it offended anyone. But they loved it, it also let us see ourselves on tv so it was fun.

I think everyone knows there is a fine line between all these flags not to cross. For instance in my view the union jack don't represent anything about Ulster rugby.

Flag debates are boring to be honest. People do get offended very easily and so long as people are supporting the team, aren't ruining the experience for others and there's nothing sectarian involved, I'm fine with it.
Surrey Red Hand
Warrior Assassin

Re: Irish Times Letters to the Editor.

Post by Surrey Red Hand »

Windeos wrote:I couldn't care less if a fellow Ulster fan brought a tri colour to the game with Ulster across it so long as he supports Ulster.

As a side point, I took my home made Northern Ireland flag to the game, it's about 10ft wide, with writing to represent the town I'm from on it. I went with 3 catholic friends, two of which haven't been to rugby games.

All three love holding the flag up because it was for show and looked good because it also has the team colours of mainly white & red.

They had no problem with my flag, I asked them countless times in case it offended anyone. But they loved it, it also let us see ourselves on tv so it was fun.

I think everyone knows there is a fine line between all these flags not to cross. For instance in my view the union jack don't represent anything about Ulster rugby.Flag debates are boring to be honest. People do get offended very easily and so long as people are supporting the team, aren't ruining the experience for others and there's nothing sectarian involved, I'm fine with it.
Except for the fact it flys at Ravenhill :? :stir:
isleofwighter
Initiate

Post by isleofwighter »

Im slitting my wrists here people..... Just go to the game and support Ulster. :duh:

IF all else fails fly your knickers in the air... (so long as they're clean and skids free!)
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

Surrey Red Hand wrote: Except for the fact it flys at Ravenhill :? :stir:

Where?

It used to fly above the Onslow gate but hasn't as far as I know for about 2 years now.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

moondance wrote:

Where?

It used to fly above the Onslow gate but hasn't as far as I know for about 2 years now.
It was taken down when Ireland played Italy at Raver and never went up again................lest it offend someone.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Snipe Watson wrote:
moondance wrote:

Where?

It was taken down when Ireland played Italy at Raver and never went up again................lest it offend someone.
Do they fly the provincial fleg? Can't say I've noticed.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

IF the yellow flag is percieved to be nationalist then last saturday was perhaps the finest moment northern Ireland has ever had, unionist flags and nationalist flags flying together in the same place with both sides supporting the same team. Long may it continue.
Last edited by aarons on Sat May 05, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

:salut: +1, more of that.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

The finest moment will come when there are no contentious flags
MACKTHEKNIFE
Initiate

Post by MACKTHEKNIFE »

Windeos wrote:I couldn't care less if a fellow Ulster fan brought a tri colour to the game with Ulster across it so long as he supports Ulster.

I think everyone knows there is a fine line between all these flags not to cross. For instance in my view the union jack don't represent anything about Ulster rugby.

Flag debates are boring to be honest. People do get offended very easily and so long as people are supporting the team, aren't ruining the experience for others and there's nothing sectarian involved, I'm fine with it.
I thought the Union Jack only flew when at sea ? >TB
Standing Up for the Ulstermen on May 19th.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Re: More flegs and crap...

Post by Kofi Annan »

:stir: What about a big rainbow flag for all our gay following/ players.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Good idea Kofi :salut: Any sheugh in a storm has always been my motto. :mrgreen:
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
petey11
Novice

Post by petey11 »

This debate will rage on forever or at least as long as there are a few whinges who are stuck in the deep, dark past or those of a wendyball disposition who will always want to drag politics into sport.
Bring along and wave whatever flag you want to Ulster matches, the N.Ireland flag, the Tricolour or your own homemade ones. Those who are offended avert your gaze and in future stay away because you will not politicise Ulster rugby. Flags are never waved for the reasons they are in other excuses for sport in this country. People go to Ulster games to see rugby believe it or not so lets keep it rugby and leave your easily offended side outside all rugby grounds.

Aaaaaaand breath...........
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Re: Irish Times Letters to the Editor.

Post by BR »

Snipe Watson wrote:
BR wrote:
UIBF wrote:The 9 county O'Neill's flag is perceived to be a nationalist/republican flag.
By whom?
By lots of people....I've conducted a straw fleg poll and have discovered two things:
Thing 1 Straw is not a suitable material for fleg poles on a windy day.
Thing 2 Lots of people think the yella fleg is a nationalist fleg.
Is this because they only ever see it at republican events? These people either need a better education or should get out more (like to Ravenhill every other Friday). Or they could join that well known nationalist militia - the caravan club.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Yet another flag debate. Why? Who really gives a a flying feck what flag you bring, be it a Union Jack, or Tricolour. We, or I, go to Ravers to enjoy a game of rugby and have some craic, not to worry what flags are flown!!
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg