Highlight(s) of the season?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Re: Highlight(s) of the season?

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Leicester match for me, particularly Trimby turning Tuilagi inside out twice!
Mum 8)
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Tom
Novice

Post by Tom »

The atmosphere at Ravers for the Tiger taming was amazing. Best match of any sport i've been to.

Had to watch the QF on a dodgy live stream in the middle of the night - being 19 - 0 after 30mins was the biggest surprise of the season.

Hope the highlight of the season is yet to come.
Duckjnr
Novice

Post by Duckjnr »

It's gotta be Thomand Park and the QF, we stormed their 'fortress' and blew them away! The atmosphere was electric, IMHO better then the Aviva because everyone knew it was a battle! The game typified what supporting Ulster was about and the scenes on the South Terrace at FT will remain with me for a long time. Just hope that memory is eclipsed by something even more special at Twickenham on the 19th!
NS
Sibarrow
Novice

Post by Sibarrow »

Marshall's try vs Leicester. The Gilroy try on c.70mins paved the way for a bonus point try in the last 10 but didnt expect it to be just 2 mins later. Got drenched in beer on the Prom but absolutely worth it (certainly a much better drenching than in c.06 group stages when getting a thumping from Scarlets which for me represented one of the lowest points of the 'dark days'). Think that the Tigers match was when this group of players came of age and opened the way to a new belief that we can take on and beat anyone in Europe (as we almost did a week later in France).

The final whistle at Thomond was pure elation & relief, followed by pride. The clock in the last 20 seemed to tick so slowly. Almost felt physically sick at points - it came across my mind to leave, turn the phone off & check the final score 30 mins later. Obviously would never actually go through with that but the thought had never even entered my mind for any Ulster or Ireland match (or any sports match) before....

Last Saturday was a much more sentimental day - went with a group of mates whom we had attended the match in 99 together - definitely one for the photo albums - didn't quite recreate our 99 Baggot Street Pub Crawl to Lansdowne Road (older limbs etc 13 years later!) but had a great day/night nonetheless. Pubs were quality banter & was nice to bump into the odd Munster & Leinster jersey and have them right behind us. Wonderful to see so many Ulster fans at the Aviva, and almost representing the point when we joined Leinster & Munster as a 'big' HEC team in the eyes of the Irish rugby fan after so many years of being in their shadow.

Hoping that Twickenham can trump the lot!
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Thomond.

Legs almost turned to jelly at the full time whistle! :red:
TheElephantMan
Steward

Post by TheElephantMan »

QF in Thomond,great day ,great match. :blueafro:
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Stuffing Leicester on that great Friday night at Ravenhill.

And of course Thomond. - best moment - Gilroy's try.
Brunswicker
Novice

Post by Brunswicker »

Higest point to date has to be Thomond where the lads undoubtedly did as the signs asked and Stood Up and Fought for a victory that will be remembered for a long time to come. Next for me would be Leicester at Ravers followed by Aviva semi and Clermont away.
Agree with Sibarrow lowest point was the Scarlets game in 06 pool stage first time I saw horizontal rain on the terrace.

Whatever the result on 19th May, McGlocks and the team have certainly given us a year to remember and set the bar for next season. :blueafro:
Starsky
Initiate

Post by Starsky »

Hoping the best is yet to come of course. Aside from that there are 3 games saved on my Skyplus that will be there for some time. Tiggers, Munster and Edinburgh. 3 very different games and occasions but all great memories.

Also some fantastic tries scored this year, especially the team tries in the Rabo v Embra and Gilroy's solo effort in the qf.
One does not simply walk into Ulster
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

And the one against Edinburgh at Ravers, great team try but scored by Pienaar thanks to D'arcys spin-offload thing.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Highlight : our season won't finish until MAY 19TH!

Seem to recall a couple of years where it felt more like October 19th :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Brunswicker wrote:Agree with Sibarrow lowest point was the Scarlets game in 06 pool stage first time I saw horizontal rain on the terrace.
It wasn't rain! It was hail!
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
ulsterfryer
Novice

Post by ulsterfryer »

3: The first SUFTUM at Aviva in the Semi - shivers up the spine!
2: The drama at Thomond - Just thrilling
1: The beating of Leicester

I watched the Leicester game again at the weekend. The bonus point and score didn't come close to showing the superiority of the day. We were just immense in every department. I don't think I've ever seen a side so demoralised as Leicester after 60 minutes (Ben Youngs flapping being a highlight). Even if we hadn't run in the last 2 tries in the last 15mins, It would still be the most complete Ulster result I've seen.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Hands down Thomond Park - can't say I've ever experienced so many emotions in one afternoon - ever. That was the day we arrived back at the top table, no doubt about it. Best moment of that game, probably the final whistle :lol:

The Leicester game was also a joy, best moment? When 'Swing Low, Sweet Chariot' rang out again, I laughed my socks off at that. When I watched it back I also particularly enjoyed Youngs capitulation and Geordan Murphy's 'not really' moment :lol: :lol:

Also can't not mention Ruan's performance at the Aviva and the fact that we have him for another 2 seasons. Man, we will miss him when he's gone. Those penalties, those box kicks, THAT tackle - what a legend :salut: :salut: .

What a great time it is to be supporting our wee rugby team :salut: :salut:
I hope, above all else though I can add to this thread after the 19th May :wink: