Euro change

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Euro change

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Many of you will be too young to remember the happy pre-euro days of equality between Betty's pounds & the feckin' punt. I was a youngish gossoon in the bank (evil barstewards) when the split in parity was made and recall with horror the long nights those of us below the rank of Manager spent in a border town Stroke City, going through tens of thousands upon tens of thousands of pounds worth of coin, separating the Brit from the Paddy and then making the resulting piles up into wee begs.

Yes we got a fair amount of overtime - in the days when you could still claim overtime & not be seen as a trouble-making communist - but it was a severe pain in the nads and a waste of the valuable time that should have been spent in the Glue-Pot swallying very fine stout.
Ah Baggy you are certainly showing your age now. I think that separation was in about 1978/1979. I certainly remember in 1982 changing real Irish money into real Bank of England finest at the exchange rate of .79. Feck I was 7 years old and had been saving forever and managed to get my paws on £30GBP. I thought I was a millionaire. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Loved the days when the currencies were interchangeable. It has all been downhill ever since :-(
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
twiglet
Initiate

Post by twiglet »

If you are driving to ourDS throw the coins into the tolls - road €1.90 each way/ tunnel €3.00 each way/ bridge €1.75 each way
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Shan wrote:What I usually do when I am about to leave a country using a different currency is to see if any poor homeless folk are about and just give 'em all my change.
Did this in Jakarta once. Got home to realise I'd given the old man my sim card as well...
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

To avoid pockets of minnow coins

I always empty the pockets when tipping in cafes etc
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

twiglet wrote:If you are driving to ourDS throw the coins into the tolls - road €1.90 each way/ tunnel €3.00 each way/ bridge €1.75 each way
IIRC toll baskets don't take coppers
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote:
twiglet wrote:If you are driving to ourDS throw the coins into the tolls - road €1.90 each way/ tunnel €3.00 each way/ bridge €1.75 each way
IIRC toll baskets don't take coppers
Rum'n's waitresses do :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Seeing as nobody will give me a ticket, I will be the one at the gate on Simmonscourt Road with the sombrero held out looking for your euro change. >threaten
twiglet
Initiate

Post by twiglet »

Well they took 5 c and 10 c when I was down at the HEC final on Saturday. Must have changed them in the past couple of days.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

twiglet wrote:Well they took 5 c and 10 c when I was down at the HEC final on Saturday. Must have changed them in the past couple of days.
Aye - OK I wasn't counting 5c as a copper :duh: But I don't think they take 1c or 2c
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
The FRU
Squire

Post by The FRU »

They take anything at the booths nothing less than 10c in the baskets.
Save the Cheerleader, Save Hollywood Mike!

http://thefrontrowunion.com